2. Runners met on the morning of the marathon to take the ferry to Staten Island, where the race typically starts.
5. They wore backpacks filled with supplies.
“There’s a perception out there now that runners are heartless and that’s absolutely not the truth. Everyone gathered here today proves that.” Jordan Metzl, one of the organizers, told the crowd of runners.
Many of the runners had travelled to New York for the race so the ferry ride was an opportunity to take a photo in front of the Statue of Liberty.
13. Once they arrived in Staten Island, everyone ran to the neighborhoods hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy.
22. They gave out food and supplies.
27. And helped move garbage and debris.
30. Sometimes people just wanted to talk.
31. Everyone was happy to have the marathoners on Staten Island.
- "I do like him. I love getting his ideas." Donald Trump says he's asked President Obama for advice on cabinet appointments.
- Passenger plane carrying 48 people crashes in Pakistan, was en route to Islamabad. Rescue efforts underway.
- Fake news fools most Americans who read it — and Facebook is a major source, a BuzzFeed News survey has found 📰❌
- An adorable 3-year-old boy proudly covered his kitchen with carrots in the greatest carrot heist of all time 😂👏