2. Runners met on the morning of the marathon to take the ferry to Staten Island, where the race typically starts.
5. They wore backpacks filled with supplies.
“There’s a perception out there now that runners are heartless and that’s absolutely not the truth. Everyone gathered here today proves that.” Jordan Metzl, one of the organizers, told the crowd of runners.
Many of the runners had travelled to New York for the race so the ferry ride was an opportunity to take a photo in front of the Statue of Liberty.
13. Once they arrived in Staten Island, everyone ran to the neighborhoods hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy.
22. They gave out food and supplies.
27. And helped move garbage and debris.
30. Sometimes people just wanted to talk.
31. Everyone was happy to have the marathoners on Staten Island.
- The Women's March on Washington was one of the largest protests in the city's history.
- Trump's spokesman held a press conference to blame grass coverings for "minimizing" the crowd at the inauguration 🤔
- Members of the national security community reacted with shock after Trump used a visit to CIA headquarters to attack his critics.
- "SNL" featured a shirtless Vladimir Putin celebrating America's newest President.