36 Summer Products You’ll Probably Wish You'd Learned About Sooner
A world in which cutting up watermelon doesn't result in tears of frustration.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A draft-blocker to keep all that precious, cold air from escaping your bedroom. Not only will this save $$ because you won't have to blast the AC on its strongest setting, but it's also fantastic for blocking outside noises (loud roommates + quarantine = not great, not fun).
2. Vacuum seal bags if you consider overpacking a personality trait. These space-saving inventions are ideal for long-haul trips *or* a multi-city vacation in which it's freezing at one destination and hotter-than-Hades in the next.
Promising review: "I've used these bags before and they are so helpful. Even use the medium one for travel and I have tons of extra suitcase room. The clothes don't come out wrinkled at all as long as you fold them nicely before placing in the bag, then the air sucks out keeping them safe and sound and very compact. Arrived on time, would use this seller again." —Susie Kochsmeier
Get a three-pack from Amazon for $14.99 (available in multiple sizes or a variety pack).
3. Sun Bum SPF 15 Tinted Lip Balm because raise your hand if your pout has ever suffered the consequences of too much beach time. Lip sunburn is real, folks! Glide on this hypoallergenic, water and sweat-resistant formula for protection and be treated to a glossy tint in the process.
4. A "busty" swim top sung about on an eighth-grade class trip to Rome — in other words, it's what dreams are made of if you're a dame who wears a D cup. This provides comfort, support, and is available in a ton of colors and designs.
Get it from Lively for $45 (available in band sizes 32–40, cup sizes D–DDD, and three colors).
6. A convertible skirt so you can reenact that trend from Aquamarine and not fail miserably (#ifyouknowyouknow). This is cleverly designed with an adjustable tied waistband which means this one purchase = a billion outfits in one.
Get it from Free People for $78 (available in sizes XS–XL and in two colors).
7. A five-tier vertical planter if your pride and joy ~stems~ from the buckets of homemade pesto you make using only your garden's fresh basil. This doesn't take up a ton of real estate *plus* allows you to grow everything from strawberry plants to lavender.
Some reviewers even swear that this planter can store up to 20 beers with ice, making it the perfect backyard BBQ ~cooler~.
Promising review: "Used for strawberry plants. The planter was extremely easy to assemble and works perfectly for my needs. Love how watering the top layers will also water the lower layers via the drainage system. Nice product!" —Fellow Amazon shopper
Get it from Amazon for $36.95 (available in three colors).
8. A FLIKR fireplace if "backyard fire pit" seems like a reality far removed from the likes of your studio apartment. A dash of rubbing alcohol to ignite the flame turns this into an A+ s'mores station, plus sturdy concrete means it'll *never* tip over...even when you knock your hip against the coffee table on your way up to get water.
Get it from Bespoke Post for $90.
9. A pack of hanging vacuum bags that will smush thicker clothes to a fraction of their original size — but in an upright fashion, aka you'll still be able to grab 'em when necessary. Reserve these for bulky items you intend on wearing throughout the season ergo don't want to pack away under your bed (I'm thinking thicker sweaters for breezy beach nights).
Promising review: "Bought these storage bags two weeks ago to pack my winter clothes for summer, and they did the job perfectly. They are large and sturdy. I like its five-hook design. I can store five women's jackets or four big men's jackets in ONE bag. The long bags also fit my dresses. The biggest reason I bought these bags is that I do not need to fold my seasonal clothes; just hang, zip, vacuum, done! Super convenient. Extremely happy with this space bags. I will definitely order more!" —Jia Yan
Get a set of four from Amazon for $35.99 (available in two colors).
10. A dozen reusable water "balloons" I intend on using this weekend even though I am "not a kid" and should probably "grow up." Sounds boring! Anyway, these are crafted with chenille yarn and are a great alternative to the single-use plastic balloons of middle school summers past.
Mama Love Boutique is a Sellersville, Pennsylvania-based shop that specializes in these balloons and knit hats.
How do these work, you ask? Simple. Just fill 'em up like you would a regular water balloon, then refill one after it's been tossed.
Promising review: "Got them, opened them, used them in the same day. I have two boys with LOTS of energy and they had so much fun pummeling me with these water 'balloons' 🤣 and I had fun throwing them right back. Not just for kids. Very well made. So happy with this purchase!" —Carley Campbell
11. Tend solution because ingrown hairs and razor bumps are truly the ~pits~. Simply spread this lotion on before waxing or shaving (and yes, it's safe for the bikini area — I know that's the question haunting your pretty little mind) and POOF! No skin irritation or bumps.
Promising review: "This stuff is AMAZING. You would never believe it, but it works wonders. One of the worst parts of summer for me is razor burn and chafing/irritation, particularly at the beach when the hair follicles on my legs dry up from the saltwater. This stuff prevents ALL of that. No bumps, no pain, nothing. The best part? It doesn't matter when you put it on. Before you shave, after you shave, even when you're not shaving, going to the beach, getting back from the beach, etc. It just always works." —Claire
Get it from Amazon for $14.79.
12. A travel planner so you can jot down itineraries and map out summer plans. This book is particularly awesome because it has designated pages for things to do, places to go, places to eat, budget, and transportation. *starts to plan for eventual Cape Town, South Africa adventure*
You can even jot down some Dear Diary notes in lined pages meant for all your travel thoughts.
Promising review: "My wife loves this planner! It's lovely, comprehensive, and (most importantly) compact. With the complicated game of packing tetris involved in international travel, this is a huge plus. It's also made planning our trip much more fun and enjoyable." —Kris Steele
Get it from Amazon for $13.95.
14. A suction-cup window garden if growing tomatoes in your backyard isn't a possibility due to, well, not having a yard (shoutout to fellow city dwellers). This kit comes with bean and squash seeds and a water spout, plus makes for the perfect summertime activity for the kiddos.
Promising review: "Simple kit with everything you need, plus extra seeds. The plants are growing in healthy and the kids are enjoying the process and tracking it all with the journal. We did some extra research with the older kids and my arts-and-crafts lover is painting a watercolor journal of all the plants' changes." —Ashton
Get it from KiwiCo for $14.95.
15. Sanuk flip-flops with a cushioning that mimics yoga mat material, aka these babies are really 👏 darn 👏 comfy 👏. Plus, reviewers swear that they last forever — even with constant wear.
Promising review: "These are my favorite. As a Southern Californian, I wear flip-flops year-round. The last pair of Sanuk yoga mat flip flops I bought lasted through almost three years of constant wear (they were basically the only shoes I wore for three years, so I'm serious when I say constant). They're comfortable enough to wear for a day at Disneyland, even with arthritic joints." —beth
Get them from Amazon for $18.82+ (available in sizes 5–11 and in 11 colors).
16. A leak-proof champagne stopper to keep your favorite beverage as fizzy as the day it was popped. This built-in pressure pump preserves bubbles and therefore preserves champagne, meaning it won't go to waste if you don't finish an entire bottle the day it's opened. Now without further ado, can I get an ice cold mimosa please?
This stopper is even equipped with a date tracker so you always know how long the bottle has been sitting in the fridge!
Promising review: "I purchased this stopper after seeing one being used at a local wine tasting event. I enjoy sparkling wines, but either have to drink the whole bottle myself before it gets flat (ugh) or throw it out (terribly wasteful). This product was the answer to my problem! It is very easy to use and keeps my sparkling beverage fresh and bubbly! Definitely a must!" —MKC
Get it from Amazon for $9.97.
17. A sleeved T-shirt for scenic walks and long hikes. This top enlists the help of a lightweight, moisture-wicking fabric that also provides sun protection and prevents any smelly odors from forming (because all deodorant effectiveness goes right out the window the moment you start to sweat, that's not up for debate).
Promising review: "Withstood the Arizona heat test. I wore this on a bicycle ride under my jersey. It was 104 degrees. It was cool! I even tried one sleeve up to compare arms and the covered one was cooler because the radiant heat of the sun was hot! I sprinkled my sleeves with water and it was really cool for a while. I got it because my skin is starting to get age spots even with daily sunscreen so I have to cover up." —Saltwater girl
Get it from Amazon for $10.95 (available in sizes XS–XXL and in 11 colors).
18. Peripera Ink Velvet Lip Tint contains a lightweight (but buildable!) formula that provides rich pigment in one swipe, plus it won't run the moment your skin is hit summer humidity. Extra kudos are in order for a ~precision applicator~ that makes filling in your Cupid's Bow a breeze.
19. A Chuckit! ball launcher to play fetch without having to, well, get your rump off your backyard patio furniture. If you've got a doggo with more energy than you after 10 cups of cold brew, this is a great way to play for long periods of time without overexerting yourself in the summer heat.
Promising review: "Love this! We now have ordered three! One for each vehicle for when we go to the dog park and one to keep at home! Our dogs love it and I love it because it helps by keeping my shoulder from hurting from throwing a ball. Easy to use and really helps the dogs get exercise and have fun!" —Michelle S
Get it from Amazon for $8.69.
20. A compact bug bite suction tool for anyone who feels like an all-you-can-eat buffet for mosquitoes ("why me?" — me every summer). This promptly eases itching and swelling by removing insect saliva, venom, and other irritants, so rest assured you won't spend the vacay scratching at your legs and cursing yourself for ever leaving the hotel room.
Promising review: "I am a magnet for bites of all kinds and carry topical and medicines with me at all times — so I figured this would be a good product to see if it really works. I woke up with a bug bite on my arm so I used this little tool (three times per the instructions) — immediately after using, it stopped itching! And less than 24 hours later the bump/bite gone! There is a very faint red mark from using the thing, but a small price to pay IMO. Bottom line: it’s awesome. I’m carrying it with me everywhere!" —Rebecca
Get a set of two from Amazon for $18.95.
21. A plant-derived BodyGlide anti-blister balm to stop blisters from forming (#duh), as well preventing back-of-heel chafing that would otherwise turn your new sandals into a painful, bloody mess.
Promising review: "I thought this stuff was a bunch of BS, I was like 'pssh what a waste of $8 ON AMAZON FOR THIS LITTLE THING.' Well, I put it on today on spots where my flats rub on my skin. My feet survived an entire day, INTACT! Highly recommend. This product made wearing shoes that rub on your ankles/backs of your feet doable!" —Jamie
Get it from Amazon for $7.99.
22. An Ilia Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 Foundation that laughs in the face of cake- foundation with a dewy formula consisting of squalane, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acids. This trio hydrates, smoothes, and visibly plumps your complexion and provides sheer coverage with an au naturale finish.
Promising review: "I'm in love. This foundation is so light and provides just the right amount of coverage and glow for everyday wear. When you first apply the foundation it does feel a little greasy, but somehow throughout the day it becomes slightly more matte (this is NOT a matte look, if that's what you're looking for I love Estee Lauder Double Wear). I have rosacea and am so thankful this has a high mineral SPF! Chemical sunscreens make me breakout, but I need daily SPF to keep my redness at bay." —Bbweasel
Get it from Sephora for $48 (available in 30 colors).
24. A Coleman pressure-activated mat that stays up to 10 degrees cooler than room temperature. This prevents your pup from feeling overheated (cue panting), keeps 'em extra comfy on hot summer days, and can even be used outdoors.
Promising review: "I have a pug and a toy fox terrier/chihuahua mix and they absolutely love this thing. I just leave it sitting on the living room floor and they gravitate towards it whenever they need to cool down (they sometimes even fight over it). Both fit simultaneously if they are in the mood for sharing the space. The mat is tough, too! I don't think their nails can penetrate it." —E Marsh
Get it from Amazon for $39.99 (available in four colors).
25. An adjustable duster brush because the amount of dust that can accumulate in fans and AC units is *cough* genuinely disgusting. And don't worry, cleaning said crevices requires but a few minutes of your time and just a flick or two of the wrist.
This handy dandy tool comes with five microfiber cloths, meaning you'll be able to clean your whole darn house in one sweep.
Promising review: "This product is AMAZING! You can clean both sides of two blinds at once and grip them firmly to get ALL of the dust off. Plus, it comes with five covers, so that no matter how dirty your blinds are, you'll be able to finish dusting your whole house! I also love that you can wash the covers and don't have to waste money on refills." —Sarah
Get it from Amazon for $8.99.
26. A Cutter bug control concentrate because I don't know about you, but I'm sick and tired of avoiding my backyard for fear of being bitten ALIVE. This spray effectively wards off mosquitoes, ants, beetles, and more for up to four weeks, so you'll be able to sit outside without looking like caviar to every mosquito within a 500-mile radius.
Promising review: "I bought this because my family couldn’t sit outside without being eaten alive by swarms of mosquitoes and biting flies. I tried everything else so I figured it’s as worth a shot. I’ve spent thousands on things that were completely ineffective. Sprayed it last Friday, haven’t seen or been bitten by one bug since! This has been a lifesaver! I can enjoy my yard again!" –Cee Bee
Get it from Amazon for $8.86.
27. A watermelon slicer and server so that you can cut up your 🍉 favorite fruit 🍉 without googling "how to properly cut a watermelon." This one tool cuts up perfectly symmetrical watermelon cubes every use, saving you tons of time and several tears shed.
Get it from The Grommet for $13.97 (originally $19.95).
28. A Makeup Eraser that is straight eco-friendly magic. Simply add water to this specially knitted cloth before wiping your face like you would with a makeup removing towelette: Lipstick, eyeliner, foundation, and even waterproof mascara will be banished in a jiffy, making it the perfect TSA-friendly cleanser to stuff in your backpack.
Promising review: "This is my favorite makeup cleansing cloth ever! I had a smaller version and loved it so much that I searched for another one and came across this larger size one. I do have sensitive skin and this is so soft. This is the best thing for travel and I take it on every trip. It removes makeup so easily, even mascara!" —Kathy
Get it from Amazon for $18.10.
30. A reef-safe sunscreen perfect for face and body, plus is specifically formulated with kiddos in mind because it's water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. This means coming back from a day at the beach = no longer having to scoop out buckets of soothing aloe.
31. Storage bags for your shoes, ones that keep smelly odors away from your fancy clothes *but* have clear windows — that way you can pull the pair you're looking for without having to play the guessing game of "which pair of heels did I shove into this nondescript plastic bag?"
Promising review: "I'm mad I didn’t know about these sooner! I hate when my shoes touch anything in my suit case, so much so that I would put them in trash bags. I am a women’s size eight and my flip-flops and sneakers fit into the light blue bag, my husband’s sneakers fit into the dark blue bag. (He is a size 11). The material is pretty sturdy. They should last you quite some time." —Cat L.
Get a pack of 10 from Amazon for $10.99 (available in four colors).
32. An inflatable drink holder to add to the "this is fancy!" aesthetic we're going for cc: the inflatable pool you just bought. Grab a spiked seltzer and some snacks, pop 'em in here, and enjoy your lazy Sunday mock vacation — it's even great for holding drinks for backyard shindigs.
33. A Stanley pour-over coffee maker that ensures a delicious cup of java, even if you've *shudders* gone dummer camping. This durable hunk of stainless steel can take a lot of wear and tea, plus the stainless steel filter enhances flavor and won't need to be constantly replaced — unlike the wasteful paper versions you've used in the past.
And while this is a great camping accessory, keep in mind that you can still use it every. single. morning in your own kitchen. The attached mug is insulated as HECK which means hot (or cold) coffee will remain at its optimal temperature for hours.
Promising review: "As always, Stanley makes an excellent product. I had a fresh cup of coffee straight out of the box. Easy to use and easy to clean." —Seamus Mack
Get it from Amazon for $33.60.
34. A water-resistant weekender duffle roomy enough to fit the essentials (no fewer than 63 outfit options and seven pair of shoes). The back strap fits conveniently over suitcase handles, plus it comes with a five-year warranty — not that you'll need it considering how darn durable it is.
35. A pair of anti-chafing bands that'll prevent the painful rubbing together of your thighs — the dreaded result of wearing summer dresses while walking to and from the hotel pool. These bands are comfortable, stay put, are available in solid and lace designs (#meow), and can even be worn during your morning run.
Promising review: "I took a trip to Paris and decided to buy these after being on the fence because I knew we'd be walking around the city a ton. I've struggled with red thighs when I walk long distances, and the various powders/lotions I've tried hadn't been doing it for me. I bought these and WOW do they work! My thighs were comfy and secure, and I walked MILES in these. Ladies, if you experience painful thigh chafing then these are for you!" —Shelby Smith
Get them from Amazon for $16.95+ (available in six sizes and 17 colors).
36. A shower brush reviewers swear is *way* more efficient than the $1 mesh loofah you haven't replaced in, oh, let's not talk about how many years. This lathers beautifully, is easy to grip, provides gentle exfoliation, and is slim enough to fit into any overpacked duffel bag. No more using your bare hands to scrub on that hotel body wash.
Promising review: "I was initially hesitant on purchasing a silicone shower brush since I was so used to shower poufs. However, this beats the poufs hands down! Not only does it lather well, I also feel significantly cleaner. The finger holes on the back make using it even more simple, since it can get a little slippery. Unlike a pouf, it does not hold any hair or other 'grossness' from the shower, and it is super simple to clean. I love it. I'm never going back to poufs!" —Nikki
Get it from Amazon for $5.99 (available in 15 colors).