1. People have almost entirely bred the seeds out of bananas.
2. In 2016, China passed a new law that banned people from seductively eating bananas on live stream.
3. In the Philippines, bananas are used in place of tomatoes to make the popular banana ketchup.
4. Bananas ripen significantly faster when attached to a bunch.
5. A thief in Mumbai was forced to eat 48 bananas so that the gold chain he had swallowed when he was arrested would leave his body.
6. Bananas are curved because they grow upside-down towards the sun.
7. The so-called "banana tree" is not a tree at all. In fact, it is the world's largest herb.
8. Walmart sells more bananas than any other item.
9. Banana fibers can be used to purify water.
10. There are more trade restrictions on bananas than on AK-47s.
11. In the 1960s, people started smoking banana peels in an attempt to get high.
12. A bunch of bananas is called a "hand," and an individual banana is called a "finger."
13. Banana fibers are frequently used to make ropes and tea bags.
14. Some ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs show humans with bananas.
15. The Washington Banana Museum is dedicated entirely to banana paraphernalia.
16. The inside of a banana peel is sometimes used to polish shoes.
17. The world record for most bananas peeled and eaten in a minute is eight.
18. In parts of Africa, bananas are used to make wine and beer.
19. Twinkies were originally banana flavored.
20. A zoo in the UK stopped permitting monkeys to eat bananas because they are too sugary and can cause teeth to rot.
21. Bananas give off radiation.
22. The Banana Equivalent Dose is a unit of measurement of radiation.
23. Slipping on banana peels became a comedic staple after banana peels were deemed a threat to public safety in the late 1800s.
24. Banana peels can make bug bites stop itching.
25. Bananas float in water.
26. The average American eats 27 pounds of bananas each year.
27. Banana peels can be used to whiten teeth.
28. Humans share roughly 60% of their DNA with bananas.
29. Despite frequently being portrayed in a sexual way, the most common strain of bananas are completely sterile.
The idea that artificial banana flavoring doesn't taste like the bananas we eat today because it was based on a variety of bananas that was almost entirely wiped out by a fungus in the 1950s is a myth. An earlier version of this post said it was true.