1. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
To navigate through life, you've got to know a thing or two. Whether you know a little about a lot, or a lot about a little – impress people by teaching them something new, and impress yourself by learning it.
2. “You oughta be thankful. A whole heaping lot. For the people and places. You’re lucky you’re not.”
No matter how bad a person, situation or circumstance might seem: it could be worse. Be grateful that it isn't.
4. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
It's cliché, but maybe it's cliché because it's true: appreciate what's good, and learn from what might have gone bad. Every experience holds a lesson.
5. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
With a good idea, you can get yourself anywhere you want to be, and with shoes, you can walk there. Set your goals, bottle up your determination and achieve all you're willing to work for.
6. “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
In the words of John Mayer: "Say what you need to say." Those who accept you for you are the people you want in your life (so hold them close and don't let go!)
7. “If things start happening, don’t worry. Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening to.”
When something seems too good or bad to be within your control: it probably isn't. Have a little faith in The System. Whatever is meant to happen in life, will; and everything else probably wasn't worth your time, anyway.
8. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
If you're passionate about something, get on out there and try to make a difference. The world doesn't change on its own (Gandhi agrees.)
9. “If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.”
Try something new every now and then, whether it's Indian food, aerial yoga, an upside down rollercoaster or a blind date. New things are exciting – and you might just enjoy yourself.
10. “I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells.”
It's good to be serious, but it's good to have fun every now and then. Be silly.