19 Times "A Hard Day's Night" Was One Of The Most Joyful Movies Ever Made
The Beatles' first film turns 50 on July 6 and it is still as glorious as ever.
Directed by Richard Lester and starring the Beatles at the height of Beatlemania, A Hard Day's Night isn't just an influential musical, it's an incredibly joyous one. In honor of the film's 50th anniversary, the Criterion Collection's released a new special DVD/Blu-ray edition of the movie, and a restored version is opening in theaters around the U.S. on July 4. Here are 19 reminders of why A Hard Day's Night isn't just for Beatles' fans, and why it's one of the most jubilant films of all time.
1. When the Beatles flee from their adoring fans during the opening credits.
2. When John snorts a bottle of soda.
3. When the Beatles tease a stuffy passenger.
"Hey mister, can we have our ball back?"
4. When Ringo shows off his dance-fighting moves.
5. When George gives a shaving lesson.
"Honestly, my mind boggles at the very idea."