Directed by Richard Lester and starring the Beatles at the height of Beatlemania, A Hard Day’s Night isn’t just an influential musical, it’s an incredibly joyous one. In honor of the film’s 50th anniversary, the Criterion Collection’s released a new special DVD/Blu-ray edition of the movie, and a restored version is opening in theaters around the U.S. on July 4. Here are 19 reminders of why A Hard Day’s Night isn’t just for Beatles’ fans, and why it’s one of the most jubilant films of all time.
2. When John snorts a bottle of soda.
“Are you listening to me, Lennon?”
6. When George takes a mean photo.
7. When John tells a reporter how he found America.
“Turned left at Greenland.”
8. When Ringo’s asked if he’s a mod or a rocker.
“No, I’m a mocker.”
9. When George is asked what he’d call the hairstyle he’s wearing.
10. When John is a hopeless flirt.
11. When there’s the greatest montage of silliness to “Can’t Buy Me Love.”
“Sorry we hurt your field, mister.”
12. When John’s told he doesn’t actually look like John Lennon at all.
13. When Paul has a Shakespearean moment.
“Oh, that this too, too sullied flesh would melt… zap!”
14. When John, Paul, and George don’t know how to split up.
“We’ve become a limited company.”
17. When George does some DIY special effects.
“It seems highly unlikely we’d be on.”
18. When Ringo gets broken out of jail.
19. When the Beatles finally play their concert and the fans scream the world down.
- France is casting its first round of ballots today for a new president in a context unlike any other in the country's recent history 🇫🇷
- After days of deadly riots, Venezuela's president threatened protesters in bizarre video — while playing catch.
- Scientists and supporters marched to fight against perceived hostility from Trump — with delightfully nerdy signs 🤓
- In 2014, #Girlboss became the woman's career bible. Now, Sophia Amoruso is doubling down on career-focused feminism with a new company.