Recently, u/Snoo_85416 took to r/NoStupidQuestions to ask, "How do I find out my girlfriend's ring size without tipping her off?"
Over 600 Redditors shared their specific, niche wisdom that really only comes in handy* once in a lifetime (if you're lucky). Here are some of the best responses.
💍 Several people recommended involving a third party.
1. "My mom came up with the idea of 'randomly' calling me and talking about normal stuff on speaker. Then, she was like, 'Oh hey! I was at this store and they had the cutest rings there, and I don't know your ring size!'"
3. "My fiancé had my best friend ask me, 'Do you think it’s weird when girls don’t know what ring size they are?' She then proceeded to tell me her ring size and waited for me to tell mine."
4. "You can estimate to some extent by asking a friend of hers with similar sized fingers."
5. "My husband asked his cousin to try on costume jewelry rings with me when she and I went to NYC. I thought nothing of it because we were on a girls trip shopping and bar hopping! She told me later and thought I caught on — I didn't."
💍 Other people suggested trying on rings with your partner, regardless of whether it's under false pretenses.
6. "TAKE HER RING SHOPPING! It can be something you do randomly while at the mall. Don't be obvious about that being the main reason you go, but start out looking at watches or necklaces and wind up looking for rings.
7. "You can always go into jewelry stores to try things on for both of you, just for fun. You should do that anyway to get an idea of what style and cut she likes rather than just guessing."
8. "Ask her. I had my wife pick out her ring. I just never told her when she was getting it."
10. "I think it's romantic to propose at a time and place that she isn't aware of. But if you've already discussed getting married, then asking her ring finger size shouldn't be that weird or unexpected. And ask her preferred style! I would be upset if I got no say in the ring that I would be wearing."
💍 Or, use a placeholder during the actual proposal.
11. "Get a placeholder ring to propose with — anything from an heirloom to something fun (since you won't actually be using it). Then, go together to pick out the actual ring.
"I had a friend propose with a ring pop as the placeholder, which his wife found amusing."
12. "If you know her preferred gem, you can always propose by giving her the gem, and then she can have it set to her liking."
💍 If you're dating a deep sleeper, you've entered a whole new world of sneaky ring finger measurement options!
13. "Pre-cut a strip of paper, and wrap/measure it around her finger while she's sleeping!"
14. "When she's asleep, put a hair tie around her finger. Then, put it on yours and mark it."
15. "I used a piece of string while my wife was sleeping to measure her finger; then, I took the string to the jeweler."
"If you do this, it's very important to bring the string in — don't just tell them the length. Since it is a small length with a long curve, a thicker string (or thicker ring) will be a very different size than a thin string (or ring)."
16. "You could go online and purchase a kit that has various sizes of rings on it to get just the right fit."
💍 Or, use another object for reference to make an educated guess. (Warning: Some of these methods involve math.)
17. "Ask her for her size in everything: shoe, sneaker, pants, dress, ring, shirt, hat, bathing suit, whatever. Just say it’s for birthdays, Christmas, etc."
BUT... "For me, this wouldn't work. If it was out of the blue, the ring in that list would stick out like a sore thumb."