These 18 Creepy Stories From Truckers Require A Strong Stomach
"I saw a baboon in Texas."
If there's one universal truth we can all get on board with, it's that some crazy sh*t happens on the road.
Reddit user u/ReptilianZen addressed long-haul truckers and asked the question, "What's the creepiest/most paranormal thing you've seen on the road at night?" The answers will make you quake:
1. "I was coming back home from a trip from Michigan, and I saw these people wearing cult-like robes."
2. "Driving South on I-75 in the winter in Ohio, I witnessed a compact car like a Cobalt or similar get on the on-ramp to merge in to I-75 North and lose control."
3. "Near the north end of mainland Michigan, I saw a car stopped on the side of the highway. We hadn’t seen a car for a while; it was 2 a.m. I commented to my buddy, 'poor bastard.' But as we passed the car, the lights came on, and it got back on the road. Odd timing. And then, it was gaining on us."
4. "I was 23, my newly married husband and I decided driving team would be a fun adventure after college — rather than jumping into the 9–5. I was down in Arizona, on a long stretch of nothing at about 4 a.m., when a guy pulled up next to me waving his CB."
5. "I’m not a trucker, but my cousin was for a short stint. A lion ran out in front of him when he had gotten out to pee. He called his mom, and she asked if he was high."
6. "My great-uncle was a long haul trucker, and he swears that one time he was driving down the road to see two guys pull a rolled-up carpet out of the trunk of their car and throw it in the river."
7. "I saw a baboon in San Saba, Texas crouched down next to the road. He lifted something to his mouth, and I saw nothing but fangs."
8. "I'm not a long haul trucker, but I drove a moving truck across Nebraska. There's a point where you're going freeway speed, but the scenery doesn't change. It's a very strange sensation and it seemed to last far too long. I started to freak out at one point because I had the thought that I've ALWAYS been driving through Nebraska, and I always will be."
9. "I saw a clown staggering down an alley in the city, back facing us, while we were coming to a stoplight at like 1 a.m."
10. "I was driving in upstate New York in early spring during deer season, and not only were there deer everywhere you had to look out for, there were deer pieces strewn everywhere from cars hitting them, then more cars hitting the roadkill, and so on."
11. "My dad told me and my brothers this story when we were growing up, and it’s always stuck with me, particularly on long drives when I’m feeling a bit sleepy. The first time I remember hearing it was after I asked him if angels were real. I was probably 7 or 8 years old."
12. "I walk to the side, pitch black, whip it out, and start to pee. My buddy is just stretching his back or whatever. I heard something in the woods shake a tree. No other way to describe it — a tree about 30 feet away shook. Then I hear something BIG crashing through the woods, coming straight for us and the car."
13. "My mom and stepdad have a Bigfoot story. We live in Illinois. The I&M canal has a towpath that runs for many miles across several towns. They were heading home at around 2 a.m. in the middle of the woods on the towpath on a snowmobile."
14. "I was in the right lane coming up on a truck and pulled out into the left passing lane. As I was slowly overtaking this long truck, my peripheral vision caught a sudden movement of this big truck toward the right shoulder. I saw the truck was swerving to avoid hitting a person dressed in all white, white face...whose arms were folded across the chest and eyes were closed as they walked across the highway."
15. "A friend of my cousin was a long-haul trucker. He was making a delivery across the country and was in a hardly used dirt stretch of a rural route. Since the road wasn't exactly peachy he had to drive slowly. He sees another truck slowly approaching from the opposite direction, and he sees the truck is the same as his."
16. "It was really foggy, and when we finally reached the end of the fog, we looked to the left to see where we were. About 50 yards from the road was a man and woman in what appeared to be wedding clothing from at least 100 years ago (man wearing a big top hat and the woman wearing a very old looking white dress) holding hands with their backs to us walking toward the wood-line."
17. "One night we had some thunderstorms roll through. I was driving down a backroad at like 2 a.m. All of a sudden, a patio chair crosses the road at just about the max range of my headlights. Followed by another, and then a large patio table went cartwheeling by. I immediately stopped hard."
18. "My dad is a truck driver, and about 13–15 years ago while resting at the side of the road, he woke up in the morning seeing that his entire trailer was robbed empty."
Note: Some answers have been lightly edited for length and/or clarity.