8. William Least Heat-Moon, Blue Highways: A Journey Into America
“Blue highways” are non-interstate roads on older U.S. maps. Heat-Moon traveled these backroads to write about places like “Remote, Oregon; Simplicity, Virginia; New Freedom, Pennsylvania; New Hope, Tennessee; Why, Arizona; Whynot, Mississippi.”
22. Chuck Klosterman, Killing Yourself to Live
The account of a road trip across America loosely organized around investigating the deaths of rock stars. Not everyone loves Klosterman’s goofily irreverent style, but Killing Yourself is an undeniably inventive modern American travelogue.
24. BONUS: Dashboard Books
Going cross country, the car is your home and the dashboard is your coffee table.
- The Democratic National Convention starts today and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- Russia won't be banned from the Rio Olympics but its athletes need to pass new anti-doping tests to compete, the IOC ruled.
- Chris Froome won the Tour de France. He's the first Brit to win the cycling race three times 🚴