8. William Least Heat-Moon, Blue Highways: A Journey Into America
“Blue highways” are non-interstate roads on older U.S. maps. Heat-Moon traveled these backroads to write about places like “Remote, Oregon; Simplicity, Virginia; New Freedom, Pennsylvania; New Hope, Tennessee; Why, Arizona; Whynot, Mississippi.”
22. Chuck Klosterman, Killing Yourself to Live
The account of a road trip across America loosely organized around investigating the deaths of rock stars. Not everyone loves Klosterman’s goofily irreverent style, but Killing Yourself is an undeniably inventive modern American travelogue.
24. BONUS: Dashboard Books
Going cross country, the car is your home and the dashboard is your coffee table.
- 11 U.S. states are suing the Obama administration for telling schools to let trans students use the bathroom of their choice.
- President Obama will become the first sitting U.S. president to visit Hiroshima since the atomic bomb was dropped there 71 years ago.
- Good news, Canadians: If you buy medical marijuana legally, you can now get same-day delivery right to your door in Toronto and Calgary 🍁