8. William Least Heat-Moon, Blue Highways: A Journey Into America
“Blue highways” are non-interstate roads on older U.S. maps. Heat-Moon traveled these backroads to write about places like “Remote, Oregon; Simplicity, Virginia; New Freedom, Pennsylvania; New Hope, Tennessee; Why, Arizona; Whynot, Mississippi.”
22. Chuck Klosterman, Killing Yourself to Live
The account of a road trip across America loosely organized around investigating the deaths of rock stars. Not everyone loves Klosterman’s goofily irreverent style, but Killing Yourself is an undeniably inventive modern American travelogue.
24. BONUS: Dashboard Books
Going cross country, the car is your home and the dashboard is your coffee table.
- Federal health officials have called for nationwide testing of all blood donations for the Zika virus.
- Tim Cook and eight other executives at Apple gave a combined $45,900 to a PAC to reelect House Speaker Paul Ryan and other Republicans to Congress.
- The judge under fire for his sentencing of former Stanford Swimmer Brock Turner also went easy on another student athlete.