1. Police and the RSPCA are investigating after dozens of decomposing greyhound carcasses were discovered in bushland in the Coonarr area in Queensland’s south-east, near Bundaberg.
2. Detective Superintendent Mark Ainsworth said it’s likely the dogs were shot, and no attempt was made to bury the bodies. “They were left out, some with a single gunshot wound, to be fed on by wild animals.”
Graphic content: Photos have emerged of the mass grave of 55 #greyhound carcasses near Bundaberg #greyhoundracing
— ABC News 24 (@ABCNews24)
3. The investigation is being conducted as part of the Joint Greyhound Racing Inquiry Task Force but RSPCA spokesperson Michelle Beatty said the deaths are likely to have occurred before the Four Corners expose on live-baiting in the industry.
4. Queensland police minister Jo-Ann Miller has described the act as “the mass-murder of greyhounds.” Speaking at a news conference Thursday she said “People who do this are oxygen thieves, cowards and pathetic”.
6. Police are urging anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Detective Ainsworth has a strong warning for those responsible: “Come forward before we start knocking on your door.”
Some of the 55 dead greyhounds dumped in southern Qld bushland had gunshot wounds. http://t.co/JIPFkppLSc
— ABC News Brisbane (@ABCNewsBrisbane)
7. The shocking discovery has led to renewed calls to shut down the greyhound racing industry in Australia.
@JoAnnMillerMP Well this has been going on for years and no one listens. #petsNOTbets greyhound racing must stop
— Gone Are The Dogs (@GoneAreTheDogs)
@9NewsBrisbane @Thew3B @RSPCAQld It's started and this won't be the last of it. Sick industry and the dogs suffer the most.
— Alan Thomson (@althom0506)
“@9NewsBrisbane: At least 55 dead greyhounds found in bushland near Bundaberg. ” More proof industry shld be shut down
— JacquiRudd (@jacquirudd)
This is why Greyhound racing should be banned "@smh: Police say 55 greyhounds found dead in bushland were shot ... http://t.co/gpvxPMxoUD”
— Tracy Creagh (@creaght)
11. Sadly, the RSPCA says the greyhounds were probably young dogs who didn’t have the speed to race. If you’re interested in adopting a greyhound, check out a national directory of dogs up for adoption here.
This week's covergirl for our profile page - beautiful Shawnee.