1. Alice in Wonderland afternoon tea at Richmond Tea Rooms, Manchester
This delightfully OTT tea-room is decorated in homage to Tim Burton's movie version of Alice in Wonderland. Expect lavish wallpaper and Alice in Wonderland-themed menu options. Our fave? The Hatter's Tea, which includes savoury pastries, finger sandwiches, scones, and pot of tea. It comes in a gluten-free option too.
2. Titanic afternoon tea at the Titanic, Belfast
3. Macaron-filled afternoon tea at Harriet's, Cambridge/ Bury St Edmunds/ Norwich
With waitresses in charming uniforms, and as many macarons as you can shake a stick at, afternoon tea at Harriet's Café is all you could ever want. Can't make it there for yourself? Why not order their champagne afternoon tea to be delivered to your house?
4. Yorkshire afternoon tea at Blacker Hall Farm, Wakefield
Visit Blacker Hall Farm Shop and discover the Yorkshire Cream Tea. Yes, there's the usual scones and clotted cream, but there's also open sandwiches (check out the ham and piccalilli on the above right) and doorstopper-thick slices of millionaire's shortbread.
5. Dainty afternoon tea at Pettigrew Tea Rooms, Cardiff
6. Vintage afternoon tea at Biddy's, Norwich/Aylsham
This delightful indie tearoom has an impressive menu of sandwiches (including Coronation Chicken), and its bakes are as pretty as a picture. That's not even mentioning the fact that you can order a ~lavender scone~ too.
7. Hidden treasure afternoon tea at Beauvale Priory, Nottingham
This location is a little off the beaten track, but is worth it. The tearooms can be found in the ruins of a 14th-century monastery, which make for an atmospheric background to your nibble. The monastery features in several D.H. Lawrence works, so keep an eye out for dishes like Lady Chatterley's platter.
8. Secret afternoon tea at Oh Me Oh My, Liverpool
9. A Devon cream tea at Hidden Treasures, Exeter
10. Vintage Afternoon Tea at The Blitz Tea Room, Kettering
The Blitz Tea Room and Jazz Lounge in Kettering channels a 1940s vibe with its afternoon tea. Choose from the Vera Lynn or the Churchill (the latter comes with mini Yorkshire puddings *filled* with mini pigs in blankets) and enjoy the sounds of Glenn Miller on the wireless.
11. A cosy wee afternoon tea at The Butterfly and the Pig, Glasgow
12. An idyllic afternoon tea at Tudor Rose Tea Rooms, Plymouth
Tudor Rose's building dates from 1640, and even has an Elizabethan garden. Which means that these tearooms are almost too dreamy to be real. Tuck into a cream tea, complete with oodles of clotted cream. Or take a breather with a luxurious hot chocolate like the one above.
13. A perfectly Instagrammable afternoon tea at Blackbird Tea Rooms, Brighton
Whether it's close-up of a giant slab of coffee and walnut cake, or a flat lay of your scones and jam bonanza, Blackbird is pretty as a picture. Plus, they have a gigantic selection of teas for your perusal.