1. Electric Zoo, one of the most popular electronic dance music festivals in the country, swarmed Randall’s Island in New York. With an expected 100,000 plus attendees again in 2013, it started off as an endless party.
9. It featured top acts like David Guetta, Tiesto, Laidback Luke, as well as Alesso and Hardwell.
The city of New York cancelled the last day of the event because there were two drug-related deaths and four hospitalizations.
Due to serious health risks, the Electric Zoo music festival on Randall’s Island on Sunday, September 1st has been cancelled. The City recommended cancellation and the event promoters have agreed.
During the first two days of the Electric Zoo music festival, two concert-goers have died and at least four others became critically ill and have been placed in intensive care at area hospitals. Definitive causes of death have not yet been determined, however, both appear to have involved the drug MDMA (ecstasy, or molly).
The founders of Electric Zoo send our deepest condolences to the families of the two people who passed away… http://t.co/8YO1vgoVse/ Via
25. The two concertgoers who died were identified as Jeffrey Russ, 23, of Rochester, N.Y. and Olivia Rotondo, 20, of Providence, R.I., according to the New York Times.
26. Some made and shared memes about the incident, while others called them distasteful.
30. A friend of Rotondo, expressed sadness over her passing.
31. Many shared the sentiment, that drugs aren’t necessary for a good time.
Previously: EDM Festival Cancelled After Two Deaths
- Donald Trump says he and Mexican President Peña Nieto discussed the wall in their meeting, but not who will pay for it 🤔
- Brazil's senate has voted to remove Dilma Rousseff as president over a months-long corruption scandal.
- Here's how bankers are using a powerful, little-known justice system to turn a huge profit: part three of a BuzzFeed News investigation.
- Researchers have found the first identical twin puppies ever in the dog species 🐶 🐶