1. Salsa Tequila, by Norwegian comedian Anders Nilsen, is a bonafide summer hit, at least in the Netherlands where it shot up to #1 on iTunes.
2. The song, which just features a bunch of well-known Spanish words, is making people happy because it’s so catchy.
5. Nilsen told BuzzFeed Salsa Tequila was all about making a parody and the “ultimate summer song.”
6. “Salsa Tequila came about when me and a group of friends were hanging out,” Nilsen said.
“One guy said that he’d read a newspaper article where a girl said that ‘saxophone is this years hottest new instrument,’ which we found really funny since the saxophone in no way is a new instrument,” he said, laughing.
7. Once they added another tried and true instrument, the accordion, they knew they needed just one more summer staple for a hit.
“When it was time to put vocals on it, we browsed similar songs on YouTube for inspiration, and found that many of the ‘saxophone accordion summer songs’ contained Spanish artists and lyrics, and thought that Spanish lyrics on top of everything would make it an even better parody of a ‘typical summer hit,’” he said.
8. Of course there was one small problem.
“The only problem was that neither I, or most of the people in Norway speak Spanish,” Nilsen said. “The song Gasolina was really huge here when it came out, but literally nobody in Norway knew any other words to the song other than ‘Gasolina.’ So they’d be like, ‘mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble GASOLIIINA!!!.’”
9. “So that sparked the idea of, OK, let’s write lyrics based on Spanish words, artists, actors, food, drinks and so on, that everyone in Norway knew about, so they could sing along to every word,” he said.
“And when everything came together with the beat, saxophone, accordion, and Spanish lyrics on top of it, we thought it sounded really funny.”
10. So, is he worried about anyone thinking the song is stereotypical or offensive?
13. “The thought was more to list all the things that Norwegians know and love. When we browse the comments on YouTube or Twitter it seems that most people find it funny and laugh at it, which is good,” he said.
“It’s basically a let’s do this for fun and make 50 people laugh idea that really blew up to something insanely huge.”
- Barack Obama had his final press conference as president, defending his legacy and vowing to fight Trump if the nation's "core values may be at stake."
- Donald Trump's pick for health secretary, Tom Price, refused to say at his confirmation hearing whether or not he would cut Medicare and Medicaid.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gases are to blame ♨️️🌍
- "Will & Grace" will return for a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing and Eric McCormack will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom 📺