4. The Whitey Bulger trial was just as Boston as you’d expect, because of course it was called “Operation Lobster.”
Long was part of ’77s “Operation Lobster”, looking into truck hijacking epidemic in Mass. at time.
Boston was also a mega-force in entertainment this year.
10. Affleck and Argo took over the awards circuit at the beginning of the year.
Of course, there were great sports moments as well.
13. AND former Celtics player Jason Collins became the first active professional basketball player to come out as gay.
Here he is marching in Boston’s pride parade alongside college roommate Joe Kennedy III (because obviously there’s got to be a Kennedy).
15. And even the George Washington statue in the Public Garden got in on the spirit.
18. The Sox had a great year, with Neil Diamond himself singing “Sweet Caroline” live at Fenway back in April.
PEAK FENWAY PARK.
20. Fans celebrated just as you’d expect.
Alongside a giant cutout of Big Papi’s head, of course!
Of course, 2013 also saw the tragic events of the Boston Marathon bombing.
21. But, in true Boston fashion, out of tragedy came examples of just why Boston is so amazing.
24. There was police officer Dick Donohue, who had been injured in the aftermath of the bombings, leading the Boston Pops in a rendition of “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” on the Fourth of July.
25. There were the thousands of law enforcement officers who showed the true meaning of solidarity when they came out to pay their tribute at a memorial service for fallen officer Sean Collier.
26. And there was survivor Jeff Bauman showing true Boston spirit while on the mound at Fenway to throw out the first pitch during a game in May.
27. And of course, the World Series Trophy made its way to the marathon finish line after the Sox’s big win.
28. Even in tragedy, there were some moments of levity as well, such as the fact that Dunkin’ stayed open even during the city’s lockdown.
Because Boston without an open Dunkin’ Donuts is unthinkable.
- John Glenn, a pioneering astronaut and the first American to orbit the Earth, has died at 95. Godspeed, Glenn 🚀🇺🇸
- Donald Trump will remain an executive producer on NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" while he's president.
- Trump has picked Andy Puzder, CEO of Hardee's and Carl's Jr. and an outspoken critic of raising the minimum wage, for labor secretary
- Mick Jagger is a new dad at age 73 and people have some things to say 👀