1. Disney just released the official first image from Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy.
2. There’s Chris Pratt as Peter Quill (a.k.a. Star-Lord)…
3. …Zoe Saldana as Gamora…
4. …Rocket Raccoon, who will be voiced by Bradley Cooper (yes, that Bradley Cooper)…
5. …WWE wrestler Dave Batista as Drax the Destroyer…
6. …and Groot, who will be voiced by Vin Diesel (yes, that Vin Diesel).
7. Disney also released the first official synopsis for the film:
An action-packed, epic space adventure, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits — Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot, a tree-like humanoid, the deadly and enigmatic Gamora, and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Peter discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand — with the galaxy’s fate in the balance.
8. This is the first time we’ve seen the characters as they will appear in the film. Marvel first released this concept art in 2012, before anyone had been cast in the adaptation of the Marvel comic.
The first GotG comic appeared in 1969, but this incarnation of the intergalactic rag-tag team is rather new, debuting in 2008.
9. Earlier this year, Marvel released this image, after the main live-action cast had been set.
10. And here is the final image again, for easy comparison.
If this looks a little familiar, fans at the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con first saw this shot in a special sizzle reel from the film that played during the Marvel Studios panel — which later leaked online.
Guardians of the Galaxy opens on Aug. 1, 2014.
- Athletes probably won't break records at the Rio Olympics. Scientists say most top performers have reached the limits of human biology.
- Bernie Sanders' former press secretary says she experienced repeated incidents of blatant racism while on the campaign trail.
- Sixteen people died after a hot air balloon caught fire and crashed in Texas Saturday.