1. This is Jem and the Holograms, an animated series from the 1980s about a music executive named Jerrica and her rockstar alter ego Jem.
The reasons Jerrica needs an alter ego to perform as a rock star are confusing and convoluted and best not scrutinized too deeply.
Suffice it to say, the show was truly outrageous, and outrageously popular, inspiring dolls and some unreasonably catchy music.
2. This is Jason Blum (producer of the Paranormal Activity films), Jon M. Chu (director of G.I. Joe: Retaliation), and Justin Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun. They are making a Jem movie. You read that right.
They are making their movie through “crowdsourcing” — not for money, but for creativity, and casting.
And it’s so outrageous, it just might work.
Let them explain:
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 159 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- Donald Trump's campaign paid a Barnes & Noble $55,055 to buy more than 3,500 hardcover copies of his book.
- Scientists found a planet "on our doorstep" that may be habitable. We could send robots to explore it in a century or so 🌍🌠