1. This is Jem and the Holograms, an animated series from the 1980s about a music executive named Jerrica and her rockstar alter ego Jem.
The reasons Jerrica needs an alter ego to perform as a rock star are confusing and convoluted and best not scrutinized too deeply.
Suffice it to say, the show was truly outrageous, and outrageously popular, inspiring dolls and some unreasonably catchy music.
2. This is Jason Blum (producer of the Paranormal Activity films), Jon M. Chu (director of G.I. Joe: Retaliation), and Justin Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun. They are making a Jem movie. You read that right.
They are making their movie through “crowdsourcing” — not for money, but for creativity, and casting.
And it’s so outrageous, it just might work.
Let them explain:
- BuzzFeed News has identified the 4th member of an ISIS cell that beheaded 27 hostages. His mother tells the family's story.
- Greek police have begun clearing Europe's largest informal refugee camp on its border with Macedonia.
- Donald Trump has repeatedly panned the 2011 U.S. action in Libya. But that year, he blasted Obama for not targeting Qaddafi sooner.