Arnold explains that “The Crystallized Book Series was prompted by repeatedly finding boxes of discarded books, by the onset of e-books, and by the recent disappearance of bookstores. Furthermore, I had been growing crystals on hard objects and was interested in seeing the effect of the crystal growth on malleable and absorbent objects. Conceptually, the series addresses the materiality of the book versus the text or content of the book. The crystals remove the text and transform the books into aesthetic, non-functional objects. The books, now frozen with heavy crystal growth, have become artifacts or geologic specimens imbued with the history of time, use, and nostalgia.”
3. Post Mortem
There are many household chemicals that can be used to grow crystals. Arnold used Twenty Mule Team Borax and created a super saturated solution in boiling water. She then soaked the books in the solution and manipulated them to her liking. The solution then cools and the crystals grow and the books take on their form
4. Crime And Punishment
5. The Complete Book of Houseplants
Depending on atmospheric conditions, the crystals will turn from translucent to opaque. This transition can take years or be made to happen quickly.
7. Catcher In The Rye
8. The Singing Tree
9. Alchemist’s Handbook
10. Encyclopedia Of Superstitions
11. This Is Water
12. Chemistry: An Experimental Science
13. World Book 1978
14. Dictionary Nautilus
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many are saying normalizes sexual assault.