1. Author George R.R. Martin was asked if he had a resolution or ending to the seemingly endless conflict. He replied that the end would be a cloud of dust or snow being driven by the wind across a vast graveyard full of tombstones.
2. Carice van Houten was previously asked to audition for a different role when season 1 was shot, but schedule conflicts prevented her from auditioning.
She was asked to come back to audition during shooting of season 2, and was cast as Melisandre.
3. Features nine actors from the Harry Potter film series
Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark) played Mrs. Granger in the seventh film
Natalia Tena (Osha) played Nymphadora Tonks
David Bradley (Lord Walder Frey) played Argus Filch
Julian Glover (Grand Maester Pycelle) voiced Aragog
Ciarán Hinds (Mance Rayder) played Aberforth Dumbledore
Bronson Webb (Will) played unnamed Slytherin student in the third film
Ralph Ineson (Dagmer Cleftjaw) played Amycus Carrow
Edward Tudor-Pole (Protestor at King’s Landing) played Mr. Borgin
Ian Whyte (Gregor Clegane) played Madame Maxime in full-body shots
Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon) is also the father of Frank Dillane, who played the young Voldemort/Tom Riddle in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
4. The first season premiered on Sean Bean’s birthday (April 17th).
5. Liam Burke was cast as Aerys II Targaryen, the “Mad King” in flashback scenes, but the scenes were cut.
6. The naturally brunette Emilia Clarke captured the eyes of audiences around the world when she first appeared as the blonde Daenerys Targaryen
Clarke nabbed the role after fellow British actress Tamzin Merchant dropped out of the pilot for undisclosed reasons.
7. Catelyn Stark was played, in the pilot, by Jennifer Ehle but she dropped out when the series was picked up and Michelle Fairley was cast.
8. In the year 2012, over 160 baby girls in the U.S. were legally named “Khaleesi”, after the character in the show.
Find more fun facts at IMDB.
- The U.S. will release Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard after 30 years. The move isn't tied to the Iran nuclear deal, American officials say.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- The NFL has upheld Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension for his alleged involvement with the deflation of footballs 🏈