TAMPA, Florida — The Republican National Committee platform will include a measure opposing RU-486, which some abortion foes call an “abortion pill.”
Mary Summa, a delegate from North Carolina introduced the plank to ban FDA approval for any drug “that terminates human life after conception.”
“This party was born out of a belief that every human life is precious,” she said. “And with this amendment we state it once again by opposing approval of drugs that terminate innocent human life after conception.”
Alabama delegate Jackie Curtiss asked to clarify whether the measure would also include the so-called Plan-B pill, which is given before conception occurs, in light of the ongoing controversy over Missouri Rep. Todd Akin’s comments about rape.
“In light of the recent comments by Congressman Todd Akin and in an attempt to reaffirm to the American people the party’s sensitivity on the subject of rape, I believe that we should not support an amendment which opposes approval of a method that has been proven effective in preventing the pregnancy of rape victims,” she said.
It was the first time Akin’s comments entered the platform committee’s business meeting. Earlier Tuesday the committee passed a plank calling for a constitutional amendment against abortion, but did not specify any exceptions in the case of rape or incest.
Connecticut delegate Themis Klarides noted that the Plan-B pill would not be covered because it does not take effect after conception, at which point the measure was passed by the full committee with only a smattering of dissenters.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- danr25 thinks Republican Platform Calls For Banning... is Trashy, WTF & Fail
- foxnews.com readers just made Republican Platform Calls For Banning... hotter
- newu719 Republican Platform Calls For Banning... and thinks it’s WTF & Fail
- jinabunny thinks Republican Platform Calls For Banning... is Trashy, Fail & WTF
- tifa08 thinks Republican Platform Calls For Banning... is WTF, Fail & Trashy
Boy I bet he wouldn’t feel the same if his wife or daughter get raped and get pregnant. Bunch of hypocrites, dont they realize everytime a man ejaculates he is killing millions of unborn potential sperm babies. Plan B does the same thing, kills the sperm before it becomes a living thing. I dont see why men are making the choice on this especially if they can never be in a raped womens shoes. They need to get a stick inserted up their ass or something. Lol
- Republican Platform Calls For Banning... is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- jazzym21 Republican Platform Calls For Banning... and thinks it’s WTF & Fail
- Tappar thinks Republican Platform Calls For Banning... is Trashy & Creepy
- ladyarwenblack Republican Platform Calls For Banning... and thinks it’s a Poor Decision & Fail
- seamuscampbell thinks Republican Platform Calls For Banning... is WTF