The Emergency Committee for Israel, the hawkishly pro-Israel conservative group, has released a new ad targeting the Obama administration’s Iran policies, calling for immediate action to put an end to the country’s nuclear program.
The “significant” ad buy will air in New York and Washington DC beginning today, on Sunday political shows, and during weekend sporting events, with additional markets to follow next week, according to the group.
The ad comes as the next round of nuclear talks with Iran will take place in Moscow next week, discussions that have yielded little in the past. The Obama administration has maintained that it has instituted the toughest sanction’s yet on the country, though ECI, citing the International Atomic Energy Agency, says that in the meantime Iran has enriched enough Uranium to build five nuclear bombs.
“President Obama has spent four years talking, Iran has spent four years building,” the narrator says ominously. “Obama is still talking, and Iran has enough fuel for five nuclear bombs…Talking isn’t working. It’s time to act — before it’s too late.”
Noah Pollak, the executive director of ECI released the following statement to BuzzFeed on the new ad:
“President Obama says we must prevent the Iranian regime from getting nuclear weapons. Yet talking isn’t accomplishing this goal. Today, Iran has six times more enriched uranium than when President Obama came into office — enough for five nuclear bombs. We fear that the Obama administration is now intent on kicking the can down the road past the election. The Emergency Committee urges the president to live up to his promise to stop Iran. Don’t delay. Don’t ask others to do our job for us. It’s time to act.”
ECI was founded by The Weekly Standard founder and editor William Kristol. Evangelical leader and former presidential candidate Gary Bauer serves on its board, along with Rachel Abrams, the wife of George W. Bush Middle East adviser Elliott Abrams.
The ad follows a vocal campaign against Democrats before the 2010 midterms, and a spot in the NY-9 special election to fill Anthony Weiner’s seat which argued that one can’t be pro-Israel and pro-Obama.
With the economy dominating the electoral debate, the ad puts Obama — and Mitt Romney — on the spot with respect to Iran, calling for immediate action on an issue that neither the president nor his Republican challenger appears hungry to take up.
UPDATE: An earlier version of this post suggested that the explosion at the end of an ad is an imagined bombing; it’s an imagined missile launch.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- nanonanonano thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is Fail, Trashy & Ew
- aloysiusokonj thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is Fail
Actually, I think that missile at the end was supposed to be an Iranian nuke launching, not an American pre-emptive strike. Not that this ad isn’t terrible enough without openly fantasizing about bombing Iran. What’s the hell are you thinking, Emergency Committee for Israel? Between anti-Semitism and Israel’s genuinely outrageous human rights abuses, doesn’t Israel have enough of a PR problem without a special-interest group urging America to wage war on a foreign country’s behalf?
- GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- thinkprogress.org readers just made GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran hotter
- cbm thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is Fail & WTF
- rightwingwatch.org readers just made GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran hotter
- Oscar T. thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is Fail & WTF
- GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran was rebuzzed by Donna D.
- foxnews.com readers just made GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran hotter
- bemydemon thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is WTF & Fail
- hotair.com readers just made GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran hotter
- Swagasaurus Rex thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is Trashy, Fail & Ew
- andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com readers just made GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran hotter
- russ thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is Fail
- GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- whistledog thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is Fail
- Sylvie thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is WTF & Trashy
- stevenjosepho thinks GOP Group's Ad: Bomb Iran is OMG, Fail & WTF