1. Years and years ago, ancient Egypt was ruled by Pharaoh
2. and the Jewish people were slaves.
3. One day, Pharaoh decided that all male babies born to Jewish mothers should be killed.
4. One woman placed her son, Moses, in a basket, and set the basket in the reeds of the Nile, hoping that someone would find him and save him.
5. And who should find Moses, but Pharaoh’s daughter.
6. She raised him as her own, and Moses became a prince of Egypt.
7. One day, Moses saw an Egyptian beating a slave, and got so upset he killed the Egyptian, then fled to the desert in fear.
8. There he met a family, and eventually married, had kids, and became a shepherd.
9. While tending to a flock of sheep, Moses heard God’s voice calling to him from a burning bush.
10. God told Moses that he has chosen him to free the Jews from slavery, and that he would help him.
11. So Moses went to Egypt and demanded Pharoah set the Jewish people free, but Pharaoh refused.
12. As punishment, God sent down 10 plagues upon Egypt.
13. 1. Water was turned to blood, so there was no clean drinking water
14. 2. Frogs here, frogs there. Frogs were jumping everywhere
15. 3. Lice
16. 4. Wild beasts invaded and caused destruction
17. 5. Livestock became diseased
18. 6. Boils
19. 7. Hail
20. 8. Locusts
21. 9. Darkness
22. 10. Murder of the first born…
23. But the angel of death knew to “pass over” Jewish homes, which had been marked with lamb’s blood.
24. Which is why the holiday is called Passover.
25. After the plagues stopped, Pharaoh finally let the Jews free.
26. But they left in such a hurry, they didn’t have time to let their bread rise.
27. Instead, they had to bake the bread on their backs in the dessert, which is why we eat matzo on Passover.
28. Soon after the Jews left Egypt, Pharaoh sent soldiers after them.
29. When the Jews reached the Sea of Reeds, God parted the waters to let them pass
31. and let the waters crash down to prevent the soldiers from getting across.
32. At last the Jews were free, and so began their journey to the Promised Land.
34. Happy Passover!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!