1. Selena started singing at 6, recorded her first record at 8, and started touring when she was 9.
2. Selena called her tour bus “Big Bertha.” It had no power steering, no heating, no air conditioning, no running water, no electricity, no restroom, AND the windows would not go down.
3. There is a special memorial of her in Corpus Christi, Texas, called “Mirador de la Flor.”
The memorial statue on Corpus Christi’s bay front was unveiled on May 27, 1997. It cost around $600,000 to construct.
6. The music video for “Amor Prohibido” was shot at Joshua Tree National Park in Southern California.
Selena wears two of her husband’s dress shirts (a red one and a white one).
9. Selena was planning on recording a full album in English before her unexpected death in 1995. It was her lifelong dream.
She also said that her favorite songs to perform were “Como La Flor,” “Carcacha,” and “Amor Prohibido.”
10. “No Me Queda Mas” was actually filmed in the San Antonio Amtrak station, at the grand staircase.
The white beaded gown is the same dress Selena wore to accept her Grammy Award for the album Live in 1994.
13. There’s a Selena Museum in Corpus Christi, Texas, which holds her Grammys, dresses, and other memorabilia.
The Selena Museum is visited by hundreds of fans each week. People from as far away as Japan, Australia, and Europe have visited.
14. Beyoncé met Selena once at a mall in Houston.
19. Selena was buried in the purple outfit she wore to the 1995 Tejano Music Awards just a month before she died.
Previous version of this included a photo of a different outfit.
21. When asked what she would be doing if she wasn’t a singer, she said she would probably be working at Whataburger.
22. She grew up performing with Los Dinos at her father’s Mexican food restaurant, Papagayo, in Lake Jackson, Texas.
Her dad made sure it had a stage and a dance floor. Selena and the band performed on weekends and developed a local following.
26. She had a cameo on the Spanish TV novela Dos Mujeres, Un Camino.
- NATO is sending boats to the Aegean Sea to try to help combat the migrant and refugee crisis.