1. We get all four seasons, sometimes within a week.
I mean, who else can say that they had a white Halloween last year?
2. We’re in the mountains when you want to be in the mountains: fall and winter.
Yeah, being at the beach is nice… during the summer. Who wants to be at the beach during the winter? Nobody, that’s who.
3. Our mascot, Yosef, is a mountain man with amazing facial hair.
Let’s not forget that he wears a black and yellow flannel shirt, he rocks suspenders, and carries around a musket.
4. We care about the world and what we can do to better it.
We don’t need a big city to make us happy as long as we can walk downtown and save a few trees.
5. We’re pretty successful when it comes to athletics.
Between our 3 national championships, our wrestling team, our undefeated softball team, and all of the other championship winning teams, I think we can walk the walk.
6. We’ve mastered “hanging out.”
When it comes to “hanging out,” we’ve got it down to a T. Hammocks everywhere.
7. We have an award winning radio station, and that’s pretty cool.
90.5 WASU “The Rock” won the 2012 mtvU College Radio Woodie Award. What has your college radio station done lately?
8. Our fans rock… literally.
Between games tailgating on Saturdays, getting into Kidd Brewer Stadium two hours early, and walking through the bitter cold to the Convocation Center for basketball games, our fans are “rock” solid and know how to keep the game energized.
9. We can go sledding on our campus, and that’s also pretty cool.
Be it Suicide Hill or out on Sanford Mall, sledding on campus is pretty easy to do.
10. Our campus is top-notch… well, mostly.
Yeah, we have our older buildings that have only two options: ice cold or fire hot, but we also have some of the nicest new educational buildings in the state, like the College of Education, Raley Hall, and Belk Library.
11. We’re not your typical college.
Rather than spending hours on our laptops in the library, we’d sooner be caught slacklining, hanging out in our hammocks, or playing ultimate frisbee on Duck Pond Field.
12. Our student body knows what it means to give back to the community.
Between our fraternities and sororities giving back to local charities each year and our entire student body doing their fair share of volunteer work, like the yearly blood drive, our student body knows how to pay it forward.
13. We’re proud of what we’ve become.
We love rocking the black and gold. We love saying that we attend/attended Appalachian State University. We love this school.
14. Our alumni know how to keep the momentum going.
With the relentless donations the school receives each year from the alumni, Appalachian State can continue to grow and prosper, welcoming more and more students to the Appalachian family each year.
15. We know we have the coolest Chancellor in the country.
Chancellor Peacock is the coolest Chancellor in the country. He has done nothing but support the school as it has grown and we’ll surely miss him next year!
16. We teach our students how to succeed beyond the classroom.
Yeah, knowing calculus and Shakespeare is cool and all, but knowing how to succeed in life is even cooler, right?
17. Our local restaurants are the best.
A cheap and delicious burrito? I think yes. Cinnamon buns at midnight? Sounds awesome. Hangover fixing bagels? Why not?
18. Our music scene is pretty great.
Eric Church graduated from App. Old Crow Medicine Show hit it big in Boone. Doc Watson called our mountain town home. We know good music up here.
19. We beat Michigan in 2007, but…
we’re so much more than that win. We’re proud of that win, but we’re proud of every win before and after that too. We’re proud of our school, no matter what.
20. I’ve heard we throw some pretty wild parties…?
I can neither confirm or deny this.
21. We’re one Appalachian family.
Through thick and thin, wins and losses, we are one Appalachian family, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.