OK, so a boycott of the Sochi Winter Games is not going to happen & was a terrible idea to begin with. But let’s check out some common themes used in art by boycott advocates today and 34 years ago. Here’s a parallel slalom for #Moscow1980 and #Sochi2014 boycott propaganda. Whoosh!
2. #Moscow1980: Misha the mascot (with a friend)
3. #Sochi2014: the three sad amigos mascots
The Polar Bear, the Hare, and the Leopard are the mascots for Sochi. Change.Org doesn’t envy them.
4. #Moscow1980: a Russian tank with rings
Newsweek readers in the White House answered this one wrong.
There will be no cover story for Sochi in Newsweek, it’s now an all-digital outlet because most of us get our news right here on BuzzFeed.
5. #Sochi2014: a Russian helicopter with rings
Is it the same Mi-17 ‘copter bought by the United States from Russia for the Afghan army? Wait, remind me what the Moscow 1980 hush was about?
6. #Moscow1980: “May we assist you, please?”
Pop quiz: how many of you BuzzFeeders know who Sakharov was?
7. #Sochi2014: “May we assist you, please?”
Do not, do not go to The Washington Post for your daily news about terrorism threats in Sochi. Stay here, keep scrolling.
8. #Moscow1980: the Berlin Wall
9. #Sochi2014: the Kremlin Wall
Did Amnesty Int’l-West Germany want to add something about the photoshopped scene here?
10. #Moscow1980: Brezhnev the Entertainer
12. #Moscow1980: the swastika
14. #Moscow1980: the Olympic podium
15. #Sochi2014: the Olympic podium
“Amnesty-shmamnesty,” said the world. “Panem et circenses!”
18. #Moscow1980: all the sports you’ll be missing
20. #Moscow1980: Putin on a tank!
Okay-okay, it’s Brezhnev. With Osama Bin Laden. Did they both drone themselves to death?
21. #Sochi2014: Putin in a tank!
Okay-okay, it’s not a tank it’s a Katyusha, reinvented as “Stalin’s Organ.”
22. #Rio2016: Putin in a tank on a tank
Yours for 22.99 plus sh&h. Warning: will NOT ship to individual customers in Russia. (Buy in bulk.)
23. #Moscow1980: adorable Brezhnev
25. #SanFrancisco2042: adorable Putin à la Brezhnev
Also known as “Chicken Kiev.”
(Caution: #Seattle2042 has a better chance.)
26. #Moscow1980: bear surprise!
It’s Misha err it’s boycott!
27. #Sochi2014: bear surprise!
Grrr, it’s Stalin.
29. #Moscow1980: the anarchist’s noose
31. Moscow1980: rings as handcuffs
33. #Sochi2014: & another message for our sponsors
NBC sold more than 33 billion rubles in ads already. They’re lucky their logo isn’t round shaped.
35. But why?
Because it’s been tried. The 1980 Boycott was a disaster.
(written on the pant: U.S. Administration.)