1. Hack your unopenable “drawers.”
It takes a bit of DIY work, but in a small kitchen you need all the space you can get. See the tutorial over at Domestically Speaking.
2. Enlist the insides of your cabinets.
Even if you only have one or two little cabinets, you can still stick a corkboard or a magnetic board in there. From Better Homes and Gardens.
3. They can also store your measuring cups.
Learn how to make this happen on Family Handyman.
4. Keep ‘em organized with a coat of chalkboard paint.
5. Organize by pegboard, à la Julia Child.
Learn how to make one over at Apartment Therapy.
6. Skip the knife block.
Chances are you don’t have that much counter or drawer space. Put your backspash to work with a magnetic knife strip, like this one for $19.99 at The Container Store. Or, for those of you with some fancy woodworking skills, check out this DIY version at Man Made DIY.
7. Make up with shelves what you lack in cabinets.
Have an empty wall without enough storage? Hang a couple of rows of shelves there instead. The Inspired Room shows you how to keep those shelves looking awesome.
8. Turn your fridge into a spice rack.
Hey, in a small kitchen, everybody’s got to multitask. Learn how to make these cute magnetic spice jars on Dav.i.son.
9. Make the most of your cabinet space with rolling shelves.
10. Use every. Single. Bit. Of wall space.
Got a setup like this one? Get some shelves in there.
11. Utilize the sides of your cabinets.
With a little help from Ikea, Not Martha creates this functional, modifiable storage system on the end of one her cabinets.
12. Stick magnetic racks to the side of your fridge.
Get the directions on how to make this here.
13. Hang pots and pans from the ceiling.
Yeah, these are usually reserved for expensive, fancy-ass kitchens, but if you’ve got the space above your head, why not use it for storage? This version from Bed, Bath, and Beyond is downsized for small spaces.
14. Line the area right underneath the ceiling with shelves.
15. Fill awkward corner cabinets with pots and pans, using hooks or lazy susans.
This can work for organizing other, non-corner cabinets too.
16. Use an over-the-sink cutting board to temporarily expand your counter space.
Using your sink as a temporary chopping surface frees the rest of your counters for other cooking steps. Crate and Barrel has one for $29.95. This bamboo one “catches veggies as you slice,” $33.31 on Amazon.
17. Make all that under-the-sink space work for you with the help of Command hooks and a little basket.
For those little things that have nowhere else to live. Via I Heart Organizing.
18. Command strips are basically the easiest and best route for attaching storage to the inside of your cabinets.
Like in this cool magazine rack mod from Inspired Life.
19. The insides of cabinets are also great places to put hooks for rags, gloves, and pot holders.
20. Keep dog or cat food in a cereal container.
It’s easier to pour, less bulky than the bags, and keeps it fresher longer.
21. Use a small curtain rod to store lids for easy access.
Store them with help from Instructables.
22. Put shelves inside of your shelves.
23. File your bakeware and cutting boards.
It’s an extra organizational step that keeps your stuff from precariously piling up. This bakeware filing system is $19.99 from The Container Store.
24. If you have the space, a kitchen cart can serve multiple purposes.
It can serve as an extra counter, an extended storage area, or a temporary bar for entertaining. This one’s on Mary Made This. (There’s a summary in English at the bottom).
25. Even a narrow rolling cart can serve as extra storage.
Stick it in a small, narrow space that wouldn’t serve any use anyway.
26. A fold-down kitchen table can serve as an eating space or an extra counter while cooking.
Overstock.com sells a similar table with storage.
27. If you’re handy, make your own corner drawers.
Gah. This tops, like, everything. Woodworkers, get the deets on Instructables. Everyone else… just be jealous.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Red Bull apologized for posting a video of people in blackface chasing a banana.