2. Jupiter will host a NASA space probe that has Lego people on it.
3. Jupiter’s moon Europa is one of the most interesting moons in the solar system because it may support life underneath its scarred, icy surface.
We might be sending a little soda can submarine thing there in the future.
4. It also has a moon that shares a name with a badass character from Xena: Warrior Princess, Callisto.
Here’s a picture of the moon.
5. Speaking of moons, Jupiter has the most moons of any planet at 67.
For you math geniuses, that’s 67x as many moons as Earth.
7. Jupiter makes sure that its appearance doesn’t get stale.
It shed a stripe in 2010 to keep its image fresh.
9. Jupiter is bigger than all the other planets in the solar system combined. It’s actually 2.5x bigger than all the planets combined.
12. The Great Red Spot and the other beautifully hypnotic storms on its surface are awesome.
13. Jupiter has a sound.
Sometimes you can hear the noises on AM radio. NASA has their own stream for Jupiter noises.
14. Sweden made this cool flower bed dedicated to Jupiter.
It was part of a solar system project.
- Greece won't pay the International Monetary Fund the $1.8 billion it owes on time, paving the way for a formal default.
- At least 30 people were reported dead after a military plane crashed into two houses in a residential neighborhood in the Indonesian city of Medan.
- President Obama has announced a new rule that would expand eligibility for overtime pay to millions more Americans.