1. Delaware is AMAZING. It may be so small, you need a microscope to see it on a map…
2. But you need a microscope to look at a diamond too! That’s why it’s called the Diamond State!
(No historical evidence to that being the origin of the nickname.)
3. Anyway, here are 39 reasons why Delaware is better than your boring state:
4. 1. Delaware has mad HISTORY. Check out my man GW crossing it!
(The Delaware River eventually goes to Delaware.)
5. 2. Actually, Delaware was the first state in the union to ratify the Constitution in 1787. This is Ceasar Rodney, the fastest and the most unfortunate-looking of the founding fathers. He signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776! Dela-What!
6. 3. The Dutch settled there in 1631! That’s almost 400 years of history! That’s like a European amount of history!
Much older than this Sega Genesis, the oldest thing I could find on the internet.
8. 4. Delaware has TAX-FREE SHOPPING. That means 99-cent stores are FOR REAL.
10. That’s this color!
The other color is blue!
11. 6. Those colors come from the state bird: the Blue Hen, the most hardcore of chickens.
12. 7. Every single Delaware State Park has an 18-hole disc golf course inside it.
“I’m totally an athlete, brah.”
13. 8. Delaware’s banking laws are so lenient, they have been compared to the Cayman Islands. That’s why most major banks are headquartered in Delaware.
(This is what happened when I Google Image searched for “banks.”)
14. Speaking of Banks (who is not from Delaware), get ready for some celebrities who ARE from Delaware!
18. 12. George Thorogood and the Delaware Destoyers
20. 14. Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco played for the University of Delaware.
21. 15. Hall of Fame Quarterback Rich Gannon was also a Fightin’ Blue Hen!
(Voted into University of Delaware Athletics Hall of Fame in 2005)
22. 16. And Bob Marley worked at the old Chrysler plant in Newark, Delaware!
Here is Bob leaning on a car he may or may not have made.
23. 17. And finally, vice president and quality smiler, Joe Biden!
25. 18. “Dead Poets Society” was shot in Delaware. Right at St. Andrew’s School in Middletown!
“Oh Delaware, my Delaware!”
26. 19. And “Fight Club” takes place in a fictitious version of Delaware.
27. Delaware has the least amount of counties, with three. Let’s go through them one at a time.
29. 20. New Castle County is home to the University of Delaware, one of the best universities for grass lounging!
30. 21. The Univeristy of Delaware was the first college in America to have a study abroad program. They went to France in 1923 by boat. In your face, World War I!
31. 22. UD is also home to the Fred Rust Ice Arena. This is the training ground for ice-skaters you’ve heard of!
33. And Johnny Weir!
The Freddy Mercury of skating.
34. 23. New Castle County is 45 minutes from Philadelphia AND Baltimore. That means easy access to cheesesteaks…
36. 25. Every summer, Wilmington holds the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival, the largest free jazz festival on the East Coast.
37. 26. Did it start to rain? Don’t worry! New Castle County is also the home of GoreTex!
40. 28. Kent County is home of the state capitol, Dover. That means Dover Air Force Base. That means C-5’s, the largest military cargo plane in existence!
42. 30. On your way, don’t forget to stop at Helen’s Famous Sausage House of the BEST BREAKFAST SANDWICH YOU HAVE EVER TASTED.
Voted by Gourmet magazine as No. 1 place to eat.
46. 31. You can grab some Helen’s on your way to Dover for Firefly, the East Coast’s premier music festival. Here was 2013’s lineup:
48. 32. First thing’s first, stop by the Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton for a tour.
49. 33. Then let’s head down to the beach!
50. 34. Rehoboth Beach was included on Trulia’s list of “Most Gay And Lesbian Friendly Zip Codes.”
Check out the HuffPo article here.
51. Not bad for the state responsible for Christine O’Donnell.
52. 35. While you’re down there, stop by for “The Legendary Taste” of some Grotto’s Pizza!
Don’t think of it as pizza, just think of it as delicious.
53. 36. Then to Doll’y for some saltwater taffy and caramel corn!
54. 37. Then on to the spookiest ride in the world: the Funland HAUNTED MANSION.
57. 38. Or check out one of the fall festivals, like the Sea Witch Weekend.
Can you find the Sea Witch? Gather the clues, which are little to no help!
58. 39. Or the greatest fall event in all of modern history:
68. You can be like, “DelaRightHere!’
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›