1. Boston Marathon bombing survivor James Costello got married to Krista D’Agostino, the nurse he fell in love with during his recovery last year.
The couple’s ceremony took place in Boston on Saturday, Aug. 23.
2. Costello was the survivor featured in the one of the most iconic images of the Boston Marathon bombing.
The bombing left him badly burned while three of his friends lost a leg each.
3. The couple’s adorable love story began when Costello, 31, was admitted to the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital after undergoing multiple surgeries for burn and shrapnel injuries.
They had common friends but had never met until he ended up as a patient in the hospital where D’Agostino was a nurse on a six-week temporary assignment. The two began talking when she entered his room to change the dressing on his leg and he invited her to a benefit.
4. The couple’s “nautical-themed” wedding was attended by 150 of their family members and friends.
The Boston Hyatt Regency hotel and several other vendors donated their services for the wedding.
5. “One thing that she hates that I always say is I’m actually glad I got blown up,” Costello told the Today Show in an interview last year.
“I wish everyone else didn’t have to. But I don’t think I would have ever met her if I didn’t,” Costello said after his engagement to D’Agostino last December.
6. The happy couple left for their honeymoon in Hawaii on Tuesday.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Mullah Omar, the Taliban's reclusive leader, died more than two years ago, Afghan officials say. The Taliban hasn't commented.
- Debris found on an island in the Indian Ocean belongs to the same type of aircraft as the missing Malaysia Airlines flight, a U.S. official told the Associated Press.