20. Mr. and Mrs. Banks — Mary Poppins
She’s a fiery women’s rights activist and he’s a stodgy old banker. But they still find time to take their kids to fly kites.
19. Mrs. Darling — Peter Pan
Mrs. Darling is an under-appreciated saint for dealing with the mood-swings of Mr. Darling. She probably drank a lot of wine.
18. Maurice — Beauty and the Beast
How do you think Belle got to be so smart? Maurice probably gave her a love of reading and knowledge.
17. Amphitryon and Alcmene — Hercules
Finally, foster parents who are presented in a good light!
16. Chicha — The Emperor’s New Groove
The take no prisoners wife of Pacha doesn’t even let a talking llama faze her.
15. Fa Zhou — Mulan
Just a father who was worried about his daughter fighting the Huns.
14. Eudora — The Princess and the Frog
A widow raising her teenage girl in New Orleans, Eudora is the modern Disney mother. Also she was voiced by Oprah, so there’s that.
13. Andy’s Mom — Toy Story
A single mom raising a two children and their toys. Such a role model.
12. The King and Queen — Tangled
They don’t give up hope when their daughter is kidnapped by a crazy witch, they even have a lovely lantern ceremony every year to celebrate Rapunzel’s birthday. And they immediately accept Eugene!
11. Duchess — The Aristocats
Duchess is a very proper mother-cat who manages to parent three rambunctious kittens while romancing a handsome alley cat. She is an inspiration to us all.
10. Fergus and Elinor — Brave
Fergus is a fiercely proud father who lets his daughter make her own choices, and turning into a bear couldn’t make Elinor love Merida any less.
9. Mrs. Jumbo — Dumbo
What mother would go to jail for protecting her long-eared son from bullies? Mrs. Jumbo, that’s who.
8. Geppetto — Pinnochio
All he wanted in life was a son, and was so happy when Pinnochio came to life. What an adorable father.
7. Kala — Tarzan
Adopting Tarzan when he was such a little baby and defending him from her grumpy husband Kerchak were very brave things to do.
6. Mr. and Mrs. Incredible — The Incredibles
Superhero parents who just want a normal life for their children. Although they should really have been more aware of Jack Jack and his abilities. Frightening.
5. Pongo and Perdita — 101 Dalmatians
They have an adorable meet-cute in the park, then they adopt 86 extra puppies because WHO COULD SAY NO?
4. Mrs. Potts — Beauty and the Beast
Come on, Angela Lansbury is everyone’s mother.
3. Quasimodo’s Mother — The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Died protecting Quasimodo; what more could you ask for in a mother?
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat with a military background, is running for president.
- Tidal is now the only place you can stream Prince's music. He's pulled his work from other services, like Spotify.