1. It was announced today that But I’m A Cheerleader: The Musical, based on the 1999 Lionsgate cult classic, will receive its first London exploratory reading.
3. The December 6th reading will be led by Tony Award® Nominated Director Jerry Mitchell, whose most recent work includes the Broadway productions of Kinky Boots.
4. Mitchell says of the project:
5. “But I’m a Cheerleader is an important, fun and infectious new musical about being who you are and never being afraid of that truth. I can’t wait to tell this story.”
6. The London reading cast features 3-time Olivier Award-nominee Hannah Waddingham, Bronté Barbé, Maria Coyne, and more.
7. And will feature book and lyrics by Bill Augustin and music by Andrew Abrams.
8. A developmental workshop of the musical had a sold-out run at New York Musical Theatre Festival, receiving the Audience Award for Best New Musical.
9. The presentation is only an exploratory reading, so we shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves — but it’s okay to dream of the possibilities.
10. The set design would be brilliantly outlandish.
Dominated by intense blues and pinks, plastic flowers, and tacky plastic couch covers.
11. The dance numbers would be wonderfully campy.
Bring on the crotch-grabbing, booty-shaking, and gyrating hip action.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter has crashed in Colorado. Three people were injured, according to reports.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?