If the name LP rings a bell, you probably also recognize this powerful singer-songwriter’s single “Into The Wild.”
You know, from that Citi Bank commercial a while back.
If her name doesn’t ring a bell, buckle up and press play. The School Of Mad Crushes is in session and LP is the topic at hand.
1. LP actually stands for Laura Pergolizzi. The singer adopted the shortened title after she graduated from high school and moved from the suburbs into New York City.
2. Shy about her powerful voice, LP would sing over lawnmowers or vacuum cleaners as a kid. Now she wails and proudly slays on the ukulele.
“I feel like I’ve grown a lot as a muscian from a very simple instrument,” says LP.
3. She will reach into the depths of your soul with her music. When she sings acoustically, it’s somehow even more soaring and powerful.
4. Growing up, LP never had the chance to tell her mother she was gay.
“My mom died before she knew I was gay, and my dad thought it was a phase, then realized it wasn’t. But I didn’t really give a shit either way. I still don’t,” stated LP in a 2008 interview.
5. After bouncing around between labels, she found success as a songwriter, co-writing “Cheers (Drink to That)” for Rihanna – which features a vocal hook performed by LP.
She also co-wrote “Beautiful People,” sung by Christina Aguilera.
6. If her music doesn’t make you swoon, her smile will.
*dead on floor*
7. She brings new meaning to the line, “I wear my sunglasses at night.”
“I would wear sunglasses all the time if it wasn’t looked down upon in certain situations. I always thought I’d be someone who wore sunglasses like Roy Orbison,” explains the singer. Unsurprisingly, she can really jam out a Roy Orbison cover.
8. Her swagger is best captured in this single moment of mid-song lip snarling greatness. Enjoy.
9. When she’s with her girlfriend, Tamzin Brown, the world probably stops turning for a moment due to their perfection.
10. Her girlfriend also sometimes drives around naked. So, um…that just seems important.
11. Together they do important things, like saving the planet. It’s all in a day’s work.
12. LP’s androgynous sense of style is unmatched in its flawlessness – she makes the suit game look almost too easy.
“I have a lot of stories about being mistaken for a guy. Women with their daughters running from bathrooms in the Midwest, going ‘What are you doing in this bathroom?’ It’s like, ‘Easy does it, lady. Everybody calm down; your daughter’s safe.’”
13. Strangely enough, her signature single cross earring has absolutely nothing to do with religion.
“I’m not an organized religion person, so the earring isn’t about that. It’s a very pure symbol to me so I don’t know, I like it,” the singer explains.
14. A compulsive whistler, she can and will destroy you in a whistling competition any day of the week.
15. When little kids cover her songs, it will bring a tear to your eye 100% of the time – every time.
16. Most importantly, LP’s curly locks are rumored to have supernatural powers not yet completely understood by man.
LP, we are not worthy.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.