1. “One Dad, Two Dads, Brown Dad, Blue Dads” by Johnny Valentine
In the book a different colored dad, a traditional family, and a family with two dads’ children compare dads to find out in the end that they are not that different after all.
2. “And Tango Makes Three” by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson
Based on the true story of Roy and Silo, two male Penguins in New York’s Central Park Zoo. The book follows the six years of their life when they formed a couple and were given an egg to raise.
3. “Mom and Mum are Getting Married” by Ken Setterington
A little girl is very excited to plan the wedding of her two moms.
4. “Felicia’s Favorite Story” by Leslea Newman
A young girl loves to hear about how her two mothers adopted her from Guatemala as a bed-time story.
5. “Uncle Bobby’s Wedding” by Sarah Brannen
The story of a young guinea pig’s anxiety over her favorite uncle’s impending marriage. The fact that his fiancé happens to be another male guinea pig is treated as a non-issue, she is only worried that Uncle Bobby might become too busy to spend as much time with her as he used to.
6. “King & King” by Linda De Haan and Illustrated by Stern Nijland
The queen is ready to retire, and she wants her son to marry and take over. He does, but this royal wedding is not what she expected.
7. “Too Far Away To Touch” by Leslea Newman
The book tells the story of Zoe and her Uncle Leonard, who is dying of AIDS. Uncle Leanoard and his partner comfort her in this picture book for slightly older children.
8. “Jenny Lives With Eric and Martin” by Susanne Bosche
A beautiful photo-essay about a five-year-old who lives with her dad and his partner.
9. “The White Swan Express” by Jean Davies Okimoto and Elaine M. Aoki
The story of four couples, including a lesbian couple, who travel to China to adopt baby girls.
10. “Molly’s Family” by Nancy Garden
With support and encouragement from her teacher and parents, a kindergartener feels proud to display the picture she drew of herself and her two moms at Open School Night.
11. “Tiger Flowers” by Patricia Quinlan
In this beautiful story about remembering loved ones, Uncle Michael is dying of AIDS and comes to live with his young nephew’s family.
12. “My Two Uncles” by Judith Vigna
When Elly is sad that her grandpa cannot accept her uncle’s boyfriend, her father explains what “gay” means.
13. A B C: A Family Alphabet Book by Bobby Combs
Your standard A-Z picture book, but all families represented are gay & lesbian parents.
14. Pinky And Rex And The Bully by James Howe
This book teaches children to be comfortable with the way they are.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- Kentucky clerk Kim Davis has been taken into federal custody until she orders her staff to issue marriage licenses. ›