1. Pythons eating everything.
Snake + flying fox = monstrous.
7. Snakes on planes.
Passengers on a flight from Australia to Papua New Guinea were shocked to look out their cabin windows to find a 3-metre snake on the wing of the plane.
8. Flying foxes generally.
Catching diseases directly from flying foxes is extremely unlikely. However they are known as hosts to two life-threatening viruses. Source: outbreak.gov.au
10. Sharks eating golfers.
Well, threatening to.
16. Crocodiles EATEN by snakes.
17. Just goddamn MASSIVE crocs.
18. Paralysis ticks. Before and after feeding.
19. Spiders. Lots of spiders.
20. Bucket full of funnel web spiders collected from a Blue Mountains campsite. Each one can deliver a fatal bite.
21. Beetles. Swarming soldier beetles.
23. Plagues of millipedes.
Every winter accidentally introduced black Portuguese millipedes go crazy in Western Australia. Source: howtoaustralia.com.au
26. Giant venomous centipedes.
Giant centipedes may bite if disturbed or handled, the bite may cause severe pain that can persist for days. Source: Australian Museum
29. Irukandji jellyfish. Perhaps the most dangerous creature in Australia, despite being no bigger than a thumbnail.
Irukandji venom is 100 times as potent as that of a cobra and 1,000 times as potent as that of a tarantula. Source: themorningbulletin.com.au
30. Box jellyfish are not something you want to be stung by either.
31. Blue-ringed octopus are the only species of octopus fatal to humans.
No antivenom is available, making them one of the deadliest inhabitants in Australia’s ocean. Source: toxinology.com
32. Predatory marble cone snail stings can cause respiratory muscle paralysis leading to death.
The most venomous of the 500 known cone snail species, several human deaths have been attributed to them. Their venom is delivered via a harpoonlike tooth propelled from an extendable proboscis. Source: National Geographic
34. Extremely well-camouflaged stonefish look like an encrusted rock or lump of coral.
The reef stonefish has spines in the dorsal fin which can inject a highly toxic venom that can causes intense pain and can lead to death. Source: Australian Museum
- Five people were arrested as protesters gathered in Chicago after the release of a video of the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. ›
- Pope Francis arrived in Kenya. It's his first visit to Africa as pontiff. ›