1. Australian artist Fintan Magee works at a mind-blowing scale.
3. Magee started writing graffiti in 1998 when he was at high school in Brisbane.
4. He grew up in West End, where graffiti was a big part of the urban landscape.
5. Working in Brisbane wasn’t without its difficulties however.
6. “Brisbane is a culturally retarded ultra-conservative backwater with a borderline Draconian State and city government that is against anything interesting or out of the box,” says Magee.
7. “In short it’s the worst city in the western world to be a creative freethinking person, fuck Brisbane.”
8. Magee burst into the public consciousness with a work showing skydiver Felix Baumgartner titled Felix Backstroke.
9. Magee has recently spent time in South America: “it was all pretty unofficial and we didn’t even have permission for most of the walls but everything came together.”
The Artifact, Bogota, Colombia
10. His pieces are HUGE: The Displaced, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
11. “And hell yeah, it was fun”. Bad Hunter, Bogota, Colombia.
13. Castles in the sand, collaboration with Martin Ron Murales, Buenos Aires.
14. He has worked in the USA: Red Button 2, Hollywood, L.A
15. Red Stick, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Collaboration with Seth Globepainter for the Museum of Public Art.
17. His work takes him right around the world. The unmovable object, Copenhagen.
22. Much of his work explores themes of a world riven by climate catastrophe. Flood Emergency Supply Drop, Newtown, Sydney.
23. Elephant and Fisherman, Illawara performing arts centre, Wollongong.
24. Designing the flood barrier, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.
25. Testing the Brisbane flood refugee boat prototype, Coffs Harbour, NSW.
26. Magee’s work recently starred at a graffiti festival in Toowoomba, Queensland.
Simon Crerar is founding editor of BuzzFeed Australia and is based in Sydney.
Here Are The Top Stories
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- Puerto Rico has failed to make a $58 million debt payment, and credit rating agency Moody's says the U.S. territory is in default.
- The man accused of fatally shooting a Memphis, Tennessee, police officer on Saturday has turned himself in.