1. What do you do if you live in the Shetland Islands on the last Tuesday of January? Well you dress up like this…
2. Lots of your friends dress up up like this. You’re all VIKINGS.
3. PROUD VIKING WARRIORS.
It’s also cold in the Shetlands, like really really cold, so you’re probably happy to be wearing so many layers.
4. Then you find a torch and set it alight.
How many torches are there? More than a THOUSAND.
5. You hold it above your head like the proud Viking you are.
6. Look at you, with a proud Viking beard and everything.
7. Then after marching throughout the town you find a Viking longship.
The town is in darkness as all of the streetlights are turned off, so the torches can really glow.
8. You march around it with all of your Viking mates.
9. And then after you’ve marched around it for a bit (and after a bit of a singalong), you throw your torches into the ship AND SET THE WHOLE SHIP ON FIRE.
10. THE ACTUAL WHOLE THING ON FIRE.
11. BURN BABY BURN.
What then follows? Hours of dances and performances in nearby halls, followed by a public holiday the next day so everyone can recover. This is the best holiday ever.