14-year-old girl stabbed her little sister 40 times, police say. The reason why will shock you. http://t.co/5ZFqHFrviw
1. CNN published a story on its website this morning about an 11-year-old Illinois girl who had been stabbed 40 times.
2. At first it was suspected that an intruder was to blame for the attack, but it was later suspected to be her 14-year-old sister. CNN reported:
Because the sister, who called police, initially told officers an intruder was to blame for the attack, authorities briefly placed three schools on lockdown.
The truth, when it emerged, was even more shocking.
The 14-year-old, authorities say, repeatedly and fatally stabbed the victim — her half sister — with a kitchen knife because the teen thought she was ungrateful.
“This incident is a heartbreaking tragedy that defies understanding,” said Mundelein Mayor Steve Lentz. “I am asking the Chicagoland area, please pray for us. Pray, first of all, for the family that has been devastated by this.”
3. So what headline was used on the CNN Breaking News Twitter account? It went with this…
4. The response to this headline on Twitter? Not great.
8. Journalists aren’t that pleased either.
11. Even Upworthy writer Adam Mordecai thought that doing this headline wasn’t a particularly good idea.
12. The ironic thing is that the headline saw far more retweets than many any other story tweeted by @cnnbrk today.
So it raises an interesting question. Did it get so many retweets because people were so angry that it was tweeted, or did the Upworthy-esque headline prompt more people to actually share it in the first place?