Ten years ago, a liberal San Francisco suburb was traumatized by a rash of hate crimes against a 17-year-old lesbian. But when it was revealed that the victim herself had staged the attacks, the entire community turned on her and she never spoke about the incidents publicly. Until now. Read it at BuzzFeed.
4. What is Hillary Clinton Afraid Of? — Politico Magazine
Glenn Thrush and Maggie Haberman on why Hillary’s not yet committed to a 2016 presidential bid: “If she doesn’t run, the single biggest factor holding her back will be the media, according to an informal survey of three dozen friends, allies and former aides interviewed for this article.” Read it at Politico Magazine.
5. The Istanbul Derby — SB Nation
Spencer Hall travels to Istanbul for an epic match between the city’s biggest rivals, Galatasaray and Fenerbahçe: “To be in the midst of a city that is avowedly Muslim and stumble into a hornet’s nest of shot bars full of Iranians who flew in just to get trashed clear and legal, locals pregaming two days early for a soccer game, and tipsy expats asking all the wrong people for hash … it is all very life-affirming.” Read it at SB Nation.
6. The Rapid Rise and Fall of Dylan Avery — Vocativ
Mike Spies speaks with the director, who was just 21 when “Loose Change” was released — and soon viewed more than 10 million times online. “Suddenly, Avery became a youth icon and a kind of national celebrity, galvanizing the 9/11 Truth Movement—those who fervently believed the Sept. 11 attacks were coordinated by the U.S. government.” Read it at Vocativ.
Seven months after allegations of racism were raised, little has changed, writes Anna Soldner: “If the campus seems quiet, it’s because aside from a select group of rabble-rousers, nobody is talking. Not only are sorority members themselves not talking to the press, the administration has failed to provide straight answers.” Read it at BuzzFeed.
8. The Sting — The Weather Channel
Lorraine Boissoneault visits California’s Central Valley, where 800,000 acres of almond orchards depend on millions of beehives. But with beehives come bee thieves. Read it at The Weather Channel.
9. The Secret History of Britney Spears’ Lost Album — BuzzFeed
Ten years ago, Britney Spears said she was working on an album called Original Doll, but her label denied its existence. Hunter Schwarz searches for Britney’s “lost album,” and the freedom that still eludes her. Read it at BuzzFeed.
- Venezuela is reporting hospitalizations and three deaths as the Zika virus, which is linked to birth defects, spreads.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed on immigration, Obama, and Kissinger (!) in Thursday's Democratic debate 🇺🇸
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.