David Foster Wallace did a profile on surrealist filmmaker David Lynch in a 1996 issue of Premiere magazine. In it, Wallace interviewed a crew-member on the set of ‘Lost Highway’ who called Lynch, “The Id of the Now.” Pretentious, repugnant, but accurate—the same could be said about SNL veteran/Portlandia co-creator/comedy trend-setter Fred Armisen.
48. He’s keeping the dream of the ’90s alive in Portland.
47. He brought back MTV.
Well not really. But the sketch was silly.
44. Because ‘Armisen’ sounds like artisan.
43. He’s GLBT-friendly.
41. He doesn’t believe in set gender roles.
40. He looks good in drag.
37. He looks good before…and after.
He even played with the Blue Man Group.
No seriously he did. Look it up.
Here he is at the Secret Policeman’s Ball.
35. His band has an upright harp.
And a cat.
34. He’s got a sick studio.
Like the kind Brian Wilson used to record Pet Sounds.
33. He knows the importance of keeping harmony.
32. Musicians love to cameo on Portlandia.
Here’s a pretty sweet compilation on that.
31. The mayor of Portlandia was special agent Dale Cooper in Twin Peaks.
(Kyle MacLachlan was also in a few other things David Lynch directed.)
And he scratches theirs.
29. Whatever he says, you know he’s just kidding.
Ay dios mío…
26. And as an egg.
25. And as a Wes Anderson animation.
19. And this.
18. He knows how to show support.
17. He poses with fans.
16. And not just the ones who wear glasses.
15. And he’ll make the same face each time.
11. He takes hide and seek seriously.
As you should.
10. He knows art.
And when something’s no longer in vogue.
For instance, laugh tracks.
7. He knows what’s trending.
No, really he does…
(Okay, so it’s probably maintained by interns. And this is clearly fake.)
6. He’s internet savvy.
5. He’s got the gear.
4. He practices safe sex.
Even when he’s not having it.