Promoting a false stereotype that HIV only affects gays to his millions of teen fans is extremely dangerous.
1. Nash Grier uploaded this Vine to his incredibly popular account and then deleted it shortly afterward.
2. The video was saved and re-uploaded in April. It was tweeted out twice by fellow internet celebrity Tyler Oakley over the weekend to his own 2 million followers.
3. Grier’s original Vine shows him screaming the word “fag” at a commercial for OraQuick, a home oral HIV test.
4. As the video spread, many have been outraged over Grier’s use of a slur and the fact he was insinuating that HIV was only a problem in the gay community.
8. Grier hasn’t acknowledged the deleted Vine or tweets from angry users, instead only promoting a new video about dealing with haters online.
9. Grier deleted this controversial video last December in which he and two other teenage boys described things they didn’t like about girls at length. Many people saw it as intense slut-shaming.
10. Grier has come under scrutiny for homophobic posts on social media in the past as well. Many of his now-deleted tweets have been screengrabbed and shared on Tumblr.
12. Grier responded to the re-uploaded Vine on Sunday, writing that he was “young, ignorant, stupid, and in a bad place” when his negative comments were made.
13. BuzzFeed has reached out to Grier’s management company 26mgmt for comment.
It was originally stated that Tyler Oakley reuploaded Grier’s deleted Vine. It was actually re-uploaded by Vine user MuneralsFab