1. Reddit user Coppin-it-washin-it’s parents spent every wedding anniversary at a local Red Lobster. When his dad died, his sister took his mom out for dinner on their anniversary. Then they got the bill:
2. The note the servers left for them reads:
We are sorry to hear about your husband’s passing, but we appreciate your loyalty in spending 31 years of your anniversary with us. For your appreciation your meal is on us! We look forward to spending your next anniversary with us?
Red Lobster + your server, Taylor
3. The note was posted on Reddit Wednesday night and it quickly went viral.
4. BuzzFeed reached out to the original Reddit user and hasn’t heard back. But according to the comments on the post, the servers never let on what they were planning on doing.
“The waitress asked if there was a special occasion or if they were just hungry. My sister explained that my parents had been going there every year for their anniversary. The waitress then asked why my dad wasn’t there and they explained how he had passed away in March. She said she was sorry to hear that and then it was just a normal meal like any other after that. Until they got the bill.”
5. A spokesperson from Red Lobster told BuzzFeed the heartwarming moment did actually happen in a Missouri location. After the Reddit post started going viral, Red Lobster’s PR team decided to track down the server.
6. “We’re truly proud of the Columbia team,” the Red Lobster rep said. “We also extend our wishes to the family who dined with us and look forward to serving them again next year!”
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›