1. This preview panel comes from an erotic manga called “Samuge-sō no Kimchi na Kanojo”:
In the issue, it’s reported that Psy is portrayed as a member of a Korean gang that abducts and sexually assaults a group of Japanese high school girls. The Korean media went into an uproar when it learned of the parody. The above panel shows an obvious Psy caricature shouting “Gangnam Style” and kneeing one of the main characters in the groin.
3. The Japanese have already had a tumultuous history with “Gangnam Style”:
It’s entirely possible that the recent political climate in northeast Asia might have cooled the Japanese fever for Korean pop songs. In late August — just as PSY was quickly rising to worldwide prominence — a dispute erupted over the Takeshima and Dokdo islets between Japan and Korea, with both countries claiming ownership. With diplomatic tensions running high, the Japanese public increasingly steered away from any perceived pro-Korean sentiment.
- Chicago police chief Garry McCarthy has resigned after backlash from the police shooting death of Laquan McDonald. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›