1. Last night during the Super Bowl, Coca-Cola debuted its “It’s Beautiful” commercial, which included a rendition of “America the Beautiful” in various languages.
2. It quickly set off a firestorm on Twitter with users who were live-tweeting the event. Many claimed they were switching over to Pepsi.
5. Others insisted that Coke as a brand was now un-American, or even communist.
9. While many others were furious that an American brand would release a Super Bowl commercial in any language other than English.
11. Others took it even further, calling Coca-Cola terrorists.
16. It also inspired a handful of hashtags, including #SpeakAmerican…
18. And the #boycottcoke.
21. Interestingly enough, very few people noticed the fact that the commercial also included a gay couple.
22. Outside of predominantly conservative pockets of Twitter and on Coke’s Facebook page, most commenters are supportive of the commercial, with many of the top comments lauding it.
23. Judge for yourself:
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Radical UK preacher Anjem Choudary has been charged with encouraging support for ISIS, Scotland Yard said.
- Dozens of people have died after two passenger trains derailed within minutes of each other on a flooded bridge in central India.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.