this beautiful earth is now officially 2014 years old, amazing
1. On New Year’s Eve, Safiyyah Nawaz posted this on Twitter:
2. And everyone went CRAZY over it.
5. …Really crazy over it.
7. Needless to say, Safiyyah was kind of dumbfounded over it.
10. The torrent of Twitter hate didn’t slow down going into New Year’s Day, though. She even changed her bio to read “I GET IT THE EARTH IS APPROX 4.54 BILLION YEARS OLD IT WAS A JOKE.”
13. She kept a pretty good sense of humor about it.
15. So, realizing that people were mass-following her to yell at her for the tweet, she decided to use her Twitter feed as a platform and use the attention for something good:
20. And that is how you deal with the haters.
21. Sadly, it looks like Twitter users are still tweeting mean stuff at her as of Thursday morning.
23. BuzzFeed has reached out to Safiyyah to hopefully get some more insight into what it was like to have the whole internet blow up at you over a silly joke.