1. Fry’s voice actor Billy West is responsible for pretty much every famous character of the past 20 years.
2. Matt Groening claims the idea for Futurama came to him while listening to the song “Robot Blues” by The Incredible String Band.
3. The title Futurama comes from a 1939 General Motors World’s Fair exhibt about “the world of tomorrow.”
4. The alien language in the background has been changed twice because fans kept figuring it out.
5. In one episode, the cast switched bodies and the writers had to actually invent a new mathematical theorem to get them back in their bodies again.
6. Fry’s outfit is modeled after James Dean’s famous red jacket from Rebel Without A Cause.
7. The planet express ship is supposedly modeled to look like its pilot, Leela.
8. Phillip J. Fry is named for Phil Hartman, who sadly passed away before the show began.
10. Professor Farnsworth is named for Philo Farnsworth, inventor of the television.
11. Leela’s full name Turanga Leela is named after Olivier Messiaen’s 1948 “Turangalîla-Symphonie.”
12. Bender’s first words coming out of the factory were, “Bite my shiny metal ass.” He’s also drinking a beer.
13. Zapp Brannigan’s voice is based on Phil Hartman’s characters from The Simpsons.
14. The line “Why not Zoidberg” is never uttered in the show.
Although you probably did read that in his voice.
15. Shockingly, Frank Welker, the actor who voices Nibbler, used to voice Megatron in Transformers.
17. Fry’s dog Seymour is based off a real dog named Hachikō who waited for his master for 10 years.
18. There is an episode that consists entirely of the Hypnotoad. It’s 22 minutes long and ends with a voiceover saying “the audience will wake up remembering nothing and feeling refreshed.”
19. The robot cop that says “aww yeah” all the time is named Officer URL.
20. Anywhere you see an owl is where you’d normally see a rat, implying owls in the future are the new vermin.
21. Stephen Hawking voices himself on both Futurama and The Simpsons, but not Family Guy.
22. Kirsten Gore, Al Gore’s daughter, has written for Futurama.
23. Al Gore’s a pretty huge fan of the show himself, appearing several times.
24. FOX hated the idea of using 30th Century FOX at the end of Futurama episodes until Matt Groening went ahead and bought the rights to it.
25. And lastly, here’s Fry’s favorite song “Walking On Sunshine,” get pumped!
Also fun fact, if you ever search for Futurama pictures on Google, you should definitely use safe search… yuck.
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a ruling in a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›