1. Amber Martin, a 16-year-old girl from Lancaster, Pa., was diagnosed with grade 4 astrocytoma just after Christmas.
2. Amber dreamed of going to prom and 200 of her close friends made sure that dream happened, complete with a police escort and a party bus.
3. Amber and her boyfriend Austin danced with friends and then were named King and Queen of the Prom.
4. This is the second time Amber has battled cancer. She was originally diagnosed six years ago. Three years ago, her father died of cancer.
5. The night was put together by community members, who donated tuxedos, the party bus, and a DJ. Amber’s friend called it a big last hurrah for Amber.
6. According to Lancaster Online, Amber was feeling the effects of chemotherapy, but it didn’t get in the way of enjoying prom:
Although she was feeling the effects of the chemotherapy, radiation and pain medications she has been experiencing during her battle with cancer, Amber was wild with excitement as she greeted her friends.
“I love it,” she cried. “I love my life. I love everyone. This is the best day of my life.”
Her boyfriend stood close by her side. She had met Hunt last summer in Oklahoma, where her aunt and uncle live. Amber moved there to finish high school with Hunt, but returned home in December when she got sick.