3. You know the beach is amazing
Although it only looks like this about twice a year.
4. You even used to think it was totally normal to swim here
At least until you were old enough to know what hypothermia was.
5. You were secretly proud when Peep Peeps was on Britain’s Toughest Pubs
Even though you never actually went in.
6. Every night out ended in Amadeus
Even though, you know, it was Amadeus.
7. You know that Big Aggie from Torry is the best thing on YouTube
“I’m goin’ ta murder yoo!”
8. Apart from this
Up the Dons!
9. You thought big buildings in all cities looked like this
10. In fact, you’re still suspicious of any building that isn’t grey
Lovely, lovely granite.
11. Your granny used to shop in here
This is also where you got your school uniform from, but that was the only time you ever actually went inside.
12. This is a fly cup and a funcy piece
Worth going all the way to the garden centre for.
13. You thought being able to see the continuity announcers on ITV was totally normal
And only realised it wasn’t when you went south of Dundee and noticed that everywhere else had done away with it years ago.
14. You watched this bloke on children’s TV
Even though you had no idea what he was talking about.
16. Going to see Spike the Talking Cactus was enough reason for a day out
It was even worth trailing around the rest of the Duthie Park Winter Gardens for.
17. Stonehaven Outdoor Pool was a really exotic road trip
Just like being on holiday. Only in Stonehaven.
18. You had to read Lewis Grassic Gibbon’s Sunset Song at school
Although you had to admit it was pretty good.
19. Despite that, you were disappointed the Grassic Gibbon Centre had nothing to do with monkeys
20. You’re totally over the Northern Lights
Because you’ve seen them loads.
21. But nothing was more exciting as a kid than going to Codona’s
Especially when one of your mates had a birthday party at Ramboland.
22. You know that Dunnottar is a proper castle
Ruins on rocky outcrops FTW.
23. And that haddock is the only fish to have with a chippy tea
Especially from the Ashvale.
24. These street signs make you happy
Particularly those little hand bits on the end.
25. You’re an expert at having the exact fare ready when getting on a bus
Even though most places in the outside world will give you change.
26. You used to watch Aberdeen Cable
Although it was spectacularly rubbish.
27. Your friends’ dads all worked in the oil industry
Probably somewhere like this.
28. What they actually did was a mystery, but you were pretty sure it had something to do with pipes
Lots of pipes.
29. And you know that, although some things about Aberdeen aren’t what they used to be
The Dons haven’t won anything in, ahem, quite a while.
30. And some favourite places are sadly missed
The legendary One Up Records, probably where you bought the second Geneva album out of Aberdonian loyalty.