1. “Mute” is a 3-minute video by Ram Subramanian of Handloom Picture Company in India.
2. It depicts a seemingly mute man complaining passionately about some of India’s most talked-about issues.
Specifically, he complains about potholes on roads, the Indian Supreme Court’s ruling against homosexuality, and the price of vegetables. He also touches on terrorism and gender-related violence.
3. By the end of the video, he is visibly riled up.
4. The video ends in a surprising and powerful way, and then, for a brief moment, the screen flashes this message:
5. Watch the full video here:
Glossary of terms:
-Section 377 in the IPC (Indian Penal Code): This is a constitution law forbidding sodomy, which the Supreme Court upheld last month, causing a huge step back for India’s LGBT movement.
6. Voter turn-out at India’s 2009 general election was 58%. India’s next general election is later this year.
An ink dot on the index finger is a marker of having voted in India. It was instated to prevent double-voting, and has become a symbol for the electoral process.