1. After sparking controversy and being pulled from stores in 2011, the “Anna Rexia” costume is now back on sale in some online stores.
This screenshot is from the web store Halloween Party 13.
2. The costume is being sold with the tagline “You can never be too rich or too thin.”
3. During the original controversy in 2011, the costume’s manufacturers, Dreamgirl, issued the following statement:
We understand that some people will not find the dark humor funny… Or that they are sensitive to the topic it addresses. We don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings and would never want to cause harm to anyone. Dreamgirl is a company run by women for women. Halloween is an eccentric and irreverent holiday for people to express themselves in a myriad of ways. While some people may not like a particular costume - it is a matter of taste and personal discretion.
4. In response to the backlash they’ve received for selling the costume, Halloween Store issued this statement on their Facebook page yesterday.
5. The costume is still available for viewing on the site, in plus size, with this tagline: “No bones about it - this dress will spark some conversations.”
6. Of all mental illnesses, Anorexia Nervosa is said to have the highest fatality rate. Learn more about the disorder here.
- On August 4th, 2011, the death of Mark Duggan — an unarmed black man —at the hands of police officers in north London sparked nationwide riots.