1. You drive past majestic architecture every time you leave your house.
6. Sure, Starbucks is always an option, but you know where to get the really good stuff.
7. All global fast food is made infinitely better by adding in some local flavor.
11. Whether or not you wear a hijab, burkah, abaya, dishdasha, kufiya, etc., you know that swag is an integral part of the outfit.
12. There’s no better feeling than cheering on your team in the Gulf Cup.
13. Or in the impromptu football matches that happen on the beach every evening.
And if you couldn’t find a soccer ball, a crushed soda can would do.
15. You love waking up to the calming sound of the morning azan.
16. You’re a great driver, because it took you five tries to pass your driving test.
But you still know to stay off the roads before Iftaar.
20. You’ve had way too much fun running around the aisles of this crazy, hyper one-stop shop.
21. You’ve gotten really good at piecing together the plots of movies, despite the missing scenes.
Also, Arabic subtitles/dubbing makes everything more entertaining.
22. You run into at least three people you know every time you leave home.
23. You’ve owned so many of these over the course of your life that you’re probably protected from evil forever.
24. Road signs and storefronts look like works of art because the Arabic script makes everything prettier.
25. Malls, stores, homes, and restaurants all smell like bukhoor, i.e. they smell amazing.
26. You’re constantly watching tradition and modernity interact in cool ways.
- Kids in California schools can no longer be opted out of vaccination on religious or personal grounds under a new law.