Quinoa has pretty much taken over the world.
You knew that, right? Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah, if you weren’t sure, it’s OK, we all went through that phase, it was scary!) is very good for you and it has a cool name, and in the past few years it’s been stealthily integrating itself into the mainstream and popping up pretty much everywhere.
But it shouldn’t just be relegated to a SIDE dish, no sir. Let quinoa lead the way into a brave new world of texture and complete proteins, at any and all times of day. Here are some ideas to get you started on the path to enlightenment:
1. Quinoa, Fruit, and Nut Bars
Carry these around with you for snacking and feel virtuous all day. Recipe here.
3. Almond Cranberry Quinoa Cookies
Three words: COOKIES FOR BREAKFAST. Recipe here.
4. Hot Oat and Quinoa Cereal
You can start this cereal the night before and have it ready to go in just a couple minutes in the morning. Recipe here.
5. Coconut, Almond, and Quinoa Breakfast Cakes
Vegan and not about to apologize for it. Recipe here.
8. Quinoa Pudding
Very like rice or tapioca pudding but with the MAGIC POWER of quinoa. Recipe here.
9. Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad with Soft-Boiled Eggs
All the protein a lady or gent could ever ask for. Recipe here.
10. Green Quinoa
Fresh herb paste turns the quinoa this pretty color; finish it with chopped nuts, arugula, and pepper flakes. Recipe here.
11. Quinoa, Fennel, and Pomegranate Salad
12. Plum and Quinoa Salad With Pomegranate Dressing
Pears would be a very nice sub for plums in nonsummer seasons. Recipe here.
13. Quinoa Tabbouleh
Because bulgur is so 2007. Recipe here.
14. Sweet Potato, Craisin, and Pecan Quinoa Salad
15. Pomegranate, Orange, and Quinoa Salad
Pom and quinoa are a match made in tiny, crunchy, spherical food heaven. Recipe here.
17. Quinoa Cakes with Eggplant-Tomato Ragu
Makes a nice vegetarian dinner party main course. Recipe here.
19. Crispy Quinoa Sliders
Chickpeas, cheese, and breadcrumbs hold these cuties together. Recipe here.
20. Taterless Tots
This is either sacrilege or genius. Both? Recipe here.
21. Broccoli, Cheddar, Jalapeño, and Quinoa Fritters
22. Cheese and Scallion Quinoa Cakes
Little cubes of mozzarella melt into magical gooey cheese zones. Recipe here.
24. Quinoa-Crusted Chicken With Peanut Sauce
Served here with soba noodles. Recipe here.
29. Quinoa Sushi
Watch your back, rice. Recipe here.
30. Chicken Stew With Butternut Squash and Quinoa
Big Q is a great way to add oomph to soups and stews. Recipe here.